Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Copywrite?

For my first post on these forums I have an odd question. I picked up my K7 today and while the battery was (and still is) charging I decided to read the manual. I came across something on the inside of the front cover that I did not understand, so hopefully someone out there could shed some light on this.

It reads:

"Images taken using the K-7 that are for anything other than personal enjoyment cannot be used without permission according to the rights as specified in the Copyright Act."

The paragraph does continue, but from this I am unsure if Pentax is refering to the subjects or owners of the item within a photograph, or are they refering to Pentax as the owners of the camera design, or have I missed this entirely?

The reason I ask is that if the opportunity arrises to go "pro" whose permission should I be getting? Secondly I am hoping to travel overseas and take photos, will I need to adhere to the copyright rules of each country or is there an international standard?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry about the Copywrong. Guess I failed this spelling bee.

Last edited by noVICE; 08-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a weird one, especially as they spelt copyright incorrectly.

I'd ignore that, in fact I already do as I don't remember reading that when I got mine!

Just stick to the usual law of the land and you'll be right.
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Isn't this statement attached to the manual that states that the K7 has a copyright feature that you can embed you own copyright on the photos you have taken?
08-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't see anything odd, albeit a bit too cautious.

This is apparently an English translation from another language (Japanese?).

Essentially it warns the user about "Copywrite Act," whatever that means. Laws vary from country to country. The manual does not mean to say anything about Pentax's camera design, rather, it is about how to use the camera as a recording device.

Attached Images

08-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It means you need to get the corect permisions before you can photograph things you do not own the copyright to. Like stage shows, artwork etc. Most things you can photograph for personal use, but if you took a photo of a Van Gogh while in a gallery, and then started to sell the image on a postcard, you could expect there to be a copyright violation.

I think Pentax is required to have this statment in their manuals.

Maybe someone fluent in Legalese could explain this?
08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have a competition coming up, but I am not sure what would be of concern as an infringement of copyright?
I can understand the example of a painting, but what about someone standing next to a sculpture or building? At what point does it cease to be a "copy" of a painting and it becomes an image that contains a painting for example?

On a side note, when it comes to photographing people do you require their permission to use their image in this sense, and if so how do you deal with photos of crowds?

08-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

In a nutshell, if you use your Pentax as a tool to violate a copyright, Pentax has told you that this is a bad thing to do, thus limiting their liability regarding aiding and abetting a copyright violation.
Its the same reason why Kodak puts copyright ownership clauses into the usage agreement for their photo kiosks.
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
It means you need to get the corect permisions before you can photograph things you do not own the copyright to. Like stage shows, artwork etc. Most things you can photograph for personal use, but if you took a photo of a Van Gogh while in a gallery, and then started to sell the image on a postcard, you could expect there to be a copyright violation.

I think Pentax is required to have this statment in their manuals.

This is also how I understand the text provided that it is just some sort of a warning that you have to ask for permission if you take photos of things in public if you would use it for commercial use.
You can only take photos of public items if used for personal use or gratification.
This is normal.

08-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Right - it is *not* telling you that Pentax owns the copyright, nor is what it is saying unique to the K-7. it's simple a good basic bit of advice - if you take a picture of someone or something recognizable and wish to use that picture professionally, you might need to get permission from the subject or owner of the object. I have no idea why they'd include that in the manual; maybesome lawyer was afraid that someone suing you over publishing a picture of them without their permission would also try to sue Pentax?
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is pretty much what is happening today.
I'm afraid to fart in public as someone might sue me for poisoning the air they breathe.
Lawyers, lawyers everywhere and more and more paranoid people too with nothing to do except look for good companies that they can sue to get easy money.
08-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Pentax are just covering their backside, by reminding you that various copyright laws do exsist.

Get out there, take stunning images and enjoy.
08-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I'm afraid to fart in public as someone might sue me for poisoning the air they breathe.
Gerry, YA KILLIN ME!!!!