Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Closed Account

Shutter release cables question

I have been looking into shooting in bulb mode, for which I think getting a cable release would help a lot. I tried to look for the Pentax one but no store has it here, and ebay and most sites only have things like this:

DealExtreme: $5.75 JueYing RS-C1 Remote Shutter Switch for Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS30/Samsung GX-1L/Pentax L + More

So I was just wondering, is it safe for the camera to use those? I am obviously not expecting the best quality, but just want to be sure one of these won't fry the camera and whatnot. I have the K200D if that matters.

08-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

These things are pretty simple devices and you shouldn't worry about anything like this frying your camera as all this has is switches that activate the focus and shutter.
Even DIY ones are pretty simple to make without any fear/worry of doing something bad or detrimental to your cam.
08-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These are pretty much like your headphone wiring.
The tip has 3 contacts (much like a headphone too or headset of a cellphone).
There is just a main ground and 2 other wires.
If the common ground and one wire is connected, the focus is tripped.
When the other wire is connected to the common ground again, the shutter is tripped to take the picture.
If that connection is held for a long time (has a push lock) the bulb function is activated 'coz so long as the connection is not severed or disconnected (locked) the shutter remains open for night or long time exposure shooting.
THis is how simple these devices are.
We even have a thread here at the forum as to how to make one if you want to make your own.
The jack/tip used for this is the one commonly used for the headset of a cellphone (like a small stereo headset jack).
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by betamax Quote
I have been looking into shooting in bulb mode, for which I think getting a cable release would help a lot. I tried to look for the Pentax one but no store has it here, and ebay and most sites only have things like this:

DealExtreme: $5.75 JueYing RS-C1 Remote Shutter Switch for Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS30/Samsung GX-1L/Pentax L + More

So I was just wondering, is it safe for the camera to use those? I am obviously not expecting the best quality, but just want to be sure one of these won't fry the camera and whatnot. I have the K200D if that matters.
I have the one that you are looking at and it works fine on my K10.

08-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
Building one would be interesting. Wouldn't mind that link at all.
Also, thanks for the info!
08-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are into building things that's OK, but I'll have to say for the price you'll pay for the one you looked at on ebay, you'll have a hard time beating that. I'm very happy with mine.
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Here is one that even has a bit of that Euro styling.
Wired Remote Shutter Release (ergonomic or sinister?)

08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I own this cabled release, it's perfect, especially for the price. Don't worry about getting it, it works flawlessly.
08-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you can, get this one:

Timer Remote Shutter

or this one:

Wireless Remote Shutter

They can act as a simple wired shutter release, plus some more capability.

Unless you happen to have the parts already, making one will cost more than $5.75.
08-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
If you are into building things that's OK, but I'll have to say for the price you'll pay for the one you looked at on ebay, you'll have a hard time beating that. I'm very happy with mine.
Well, even if the price at times would cost more if you build it yourself, the satisfaction at times can't be matched..plus the education you get on how the thing works.
These are how prototypes are actually built and it brings out the creative side of the person.
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's the link Betamax!
Enjoy building one! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/17241-make-diy-...your-k10d.html

Good luck on your project!
You can then add it up to this thread too to show what you did (how it looks like) with your DIY remote release!
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #12

Yeah these things are so simple its not funny. You could even just take some old unused cell phone headphones, cut the plug off, strip the wires and twist them together to make the shutter trip if you wanted to be SUPERGHETTO! Thats all the cable release does, shorts the 3 wires together to tell the circuits inside to trip focus (if you have it set up to do so) and open shutter as long as the wires are connected. There isnt a way to damage the camera with a cheap switch, only problem you might have is a bad connection where it wont trip when you want it to.
08-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For my K10D I use a Canon RS-60E3 cable release made for certain Elan film cameras. It connects via the miniplug jack and functions exactly like the Pentax release. It retails for about $30 and is widely available at brick and mortar camera shops. Also available through Amazon. I highly recommend it if you can't find the Pentax model near you.
08-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Once you figure out which remote you will use, add a flag to the plug to make it easier to remove the plug from the camera.

I used one inch gaffers tape and a hole punch to create the flag. It isn't very stiff and can be folded over. I have a L-bracket on the camera, so this is really a necessity. Without the bracket, it is still very nice to have. It really pays for itself on a cold night.

Thank you
Russell
08-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the one that you are looking at too, but it took about 3 weeks for it to arrive from Japan. It works great.