Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1

ZX-50 Lens Compatability

Greetings from a noob,

A couple weeks ago I bought a ZX-50 on ebay for 40 bucks shipped. The camera is in nice condition, and I thought it would make a great camera to learn on before investing 1k on a DSLR.

I have no photography background, but I did take a criminology class in college in which we learned how to use fully manual 35mm SLRs.

Anyway, my problem is that last week while surfing through ebay I saw a Osawa 80-200mm 1:4.5 manual K mount lens for a very low price. The auction was about over, and there had not been any bids, plus it was late at night so there probably weren't going to be any bids. So on impulse I figured, "what the H, I have a K mount camera" and put in a bid. After bidding I did some more research on this site and then I found "Cannot use M, K lenses" on the description page for my camera body.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/k-mount-35mm-film-af/61278-pentax-mz-50-zx-50-a.html

I received the lens today, seems to be in good shape. It connected right up to the body of course, but will I be able to take pictures? In full manual mode the light meter scale just flashes. In any mode the f stop indicates "F--".

08-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

Original Poster
Bump.

08-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe84 Quote
Greetings from a noob,

A couple weeks ago I bought a ZX-50 on ebay for 40 bucks shipped. The camera is in nice condition, and I thought it would make a great camera to learn on before investing 1k on a DSLR.

I have no photography background, but I did take a criminology class in college in which we learned how to use fully manual 35mm SLRs.

Anyway, my problem is that last week while surfing through ebay I saw a Osawa 80-200mm 1:4.5 manual K mount lens for a very low price. The auction was about over, and there had not been any bids, plus it was late at night so there probably weren't going to be any bids. So on impulse I figured, "what the H, I have a K mount camera" and put in a bid. After bidding I did some more research on this site and then I found "Cannot use M, K lenses" on the description page for my camera body.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/k-mount-35mm-film-af/61278-pentax-mz-50-zx-50-a.html

I received the lens today, seems to be in good shape. It connected right up to the body of course, but will I be able to take pictures? In full manual mode the light meter scale just flashes. In any mode the f stop indicates "F--".

The camera in the review is mine. I did not write the review, however.

I have used manual lenses with the camera years ago, but with flash. I never used them with the camera meter.

So as far as the meter flashing, make sure you have it set to manual focusing on the body. If it still flashes, that may be the reason the review said cannot use M,K mount lenses. My camera is in need of repair so I can't check this for you. Sorry.

YES you can mount manual K-mount lenses on that camera.

You can also mount the M42 screwmount lenses with the adapter, I just checked.

The camera is an AE/Autofocus camera so all rules apply when using manual lenses on that body .

All AE funftions will not work; you may have to use full manual.

(In any mode the f stop indicates "F--").

That is normal for manual lenses since the lens does not have the conatacts to communicate the AE info.

Put in a roll of film and take some pics and have a thumbnail sheet printed after you have the film developed to make sure that body is in good shape.

Last edited by res3567; 08-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
08-12-2009, 05:44 AM   #4

MZ-50 / ZX-50

correct exposure only with lens at "A" or at widest aperture

08-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For K and M lenses, the site says:

center-weigthed (correct exposure only at wide-open aperture)
08-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Joe, if you're at all interested in buying & using old manual focus lenses, do yourself a favor and get a different camera body. Avoid the MZ-30, MZ-50, and ZX-60 with their crippled mounts. Also, when buying old lenses, remember that the 'A' position on the aperture ring gives improved compatibility in the future with digital bodies as well. Unlike the MZ/ZX-30/50/60 The digital bodies will at least function with A-less aperture rings, though with reduced functionality (M mode, stopdown metering required).

If you otherwise like the MZ-50, the MZ/ZX-7/6/L are similar & great choices. I believe the -10 is similar as well. The older Z-20/PZ-20 is another good choice.
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Good to know, I will take it out and start snapping pics with the aperture ring wide open. Thanks for the help folks! I will let you know how it turns out