Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #1

What is the affect of fungus on the lens?

Hello Folks,
Need to understand how does fungus affect the performance or functioning of the lens?
There are a couple of lens on e-bay going cheap which say there is some fungus on the internal elements.....but aperture moves perfectly. Any possibility that they may be worth going in for?
Also, if I use a fungus infected lens on my K200 will the fungus grow to affect the camera in teh long run?
Beginner questions but i understand that is what this section is for
Thanks for your help

08-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It won't come to infect your camera in the long run, plus your camera is way more easily to be cleaned off than your lenses. You can still use it if it doesn't affect image quality, but beware that the fungus will keep spreading and in the long run it will affect image quality. It's better not to buy a fungus infected lens at all no matter what the cost because in the long run you'll lose it either way.
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can have a fungus infected lens cleaned and then placed in a fume hood (with a toxic chemical I forget the name of) to disinfect it.
08-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Don't risk it, there was a case last year of a guy in Costa Rica. He had an infected lens on his camera but it didn't affect the images. Trouble is, the fungus liked the humidity over there. He had the camera and lens combo in his hand all day. By the time he got back to his hotel, he realised the fungus had moved up his arm past his elbow. The poor guy lost it, he's been shooting a P&S left handed ever since.

08-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
You can have a fungus infected lens cleaned and then placed in a fume hood (with a toxic chemical I forget the name of) to disinfect it.
Ketaconazole. it removes dandruff as well .
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Don't risk it, there was a case last year of a guy in Costa Rica. He had an infected lens on his camera but it didn't affect the images. Trouble is, the fungus liked the humidity over there. He had the camera and lens combo in his hand all day. By the time he got back to his hotel, he realised the fungus had moved up his arm past his elbow. The poor guy lost it, he's been shooting a P&S left handed ever since.
Gary must either be bidding on the same lenses or he's stayed up too late reading too many Koontz novels.
08-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #7

Actually, I've heard similar stories.
What I have to say is that I had a couple of Argus' that were infected, shall we say. I ended up dismantling and frankensteining until I had one camera, because it was easier than actually cleaning out the stuff. Depends on the complexity of the lens, as well as the amount of time/money you want to invest. To be perfectly frank, it is easier and cheaper to just buy a non-fungal infected lens. As Terry Pratchett puts it, buying a ten dollar pair of boots six times in five years or a 50 dollar pair of boots once in ten years...

08-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Me, I wouldn't go there, just in case effects all other lenses in close proximity.
08-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I remember that...tragic, simply tragic...

Steve
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Link to article?