Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DSLR for beginners

im a beginner and im going to buy my first dslr im considering the Pentax K-m or K200d? or any suggestions. thx

08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not also consider the K20D? If price is an issue then go for the K-m instead. All are good DLSRs.
08-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K-m/K2000 and I'm a beginner. You won't be dissapointed, it's a really great camera for a really great price.
08-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

I had a K100D as my first camera, and then went to the K2000/KM. Both are great cameras that I found take great pictures. However, the K100D and K100DS shoot better in auto mode compared to the K2000. If you are willing to experiment with AV mode, and manual mode, you will not be disappointed with the K2000.

08-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it matters too much with cam you go with.
None of them are too intimidating even for the novice - just a matter of getting used to them and learning how each of the important functions work.

It's of more importance to get the camera within your budget and have enough to have a good go-to lens...
All the best in your decision.
08-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
im a beginner and im going to buy my first dslr im considering the Pentax K-m or K200d? or any suggestions. thx
I'm not a beginner to photography, but when I got my first dSLR I went with the K-m. The size was a more important factor to me than any functional advantage.

Realistically, _all_ dSLR's are relatively complicated machines once you start to try to understand all the functions and settings. By the time that you figure out how to fully use the camera, it may already be obsolete! On the flip-size, all dSLR's can be set to full auto 'green' mode to become big point & shoots. So, it doesn't really matter a great deal if you get the K-m or K200d they are very similar, just go with whichever one feels better in your hands, or with your gut feeling.

The most important thing for a beginner is to start shooting. Take a lot of photographs and often. The beginner will make a lot of mistakes and take a lot of mediocre photos. That's part of the process of getting past being a beginner. A camera won't make a beginner better overnight, only experience will make you a better photographer. So, the sooner that you start, then the sooner you will become experienced.
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Forum Member

Would weathersealing be important to you? If so get the K200D and the DA 18-50 WR lens and have a fully weather sealed kit. I have the K200D and I like it alot. Easy to use for a newbe, but with features that you can use as you gain experience.

08-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you very much for the infos and opinions.

weather sealing is not that important to me. im after the image quality. i compared the images taken by k200d and the k-m the in the sample photos of photographyblog.com. the k200d was much better, sharper and shows more detail than the k-m.

heres the site: just compare 2 same shots
Pentax K200D Review - PhotographyBLOG
(the last image)

Pentax K-m Review - PhotographyBLOG
(8th from the last image)
08-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Saw the exif of both images. The K-m was shooting at 800 iso at 28mm and 1/60 shutterspeed in that picture, the K200D was shooting at 100 iso at 18mm and 1/90 shutterspeed. Both were taken with an aperture of f/8.0, but with those settings, the K200D is obviously going to have better image quality. There would be no way the K200D can take that much clearer picture than the K-m if they were both taken at the same light with the same settings and same lens, especially when they both share nearly the exact same sensor.
08-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thx LeDave. i was wondering about this for quite some time coz both reviews says that the image quality are similar but the image sample are not.

how'd you know the iso, shutterspeed and the mm the images are taken?
thanks again! great help
08-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
thx LeDave. i was wondering about this for quite some time coz both reviews says that the image quality are similar but the image sample are not.

how'd you know the iso, shutterspeed and the mm the images are taken?
thanks again! great help
I use a plugin for firefox. All I need to do is right click on a picture and click on properties and it shows the basic exif information on the image.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673
08-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

Or if you don't use Firefox (I don't), just right click on the picture and save it on your desktop, then go through its properties.
08-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks leDave and pbo! that explains a lot.. what software do you use in viewing photos?
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I use a plugin for firefox. All I need to do is right click on a picture and click on properties and it shows the basic exif information on the image.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673
I'm just going to thank you for this add-on, works great and saves time
08-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-m is newer and supposedly has a better circuit layout for less noise than the K200d, but they should pretty much be the same. It may have a default JPEG setting that overly saturates/contrasts/sharpens - Bright - use natural.

I would recommend the K-m for its new redone settings and control panel. It also has a newer organization of buttons for 1 handed control BUT lacks 2 control wheels and some other dedicated buttons (but I don't use them anyway and they are easy enough to change on the k2000 - except AF from wide to spot)

Other improvements of the K200d is faster low light AF, ISO3200 (you will need something like topaz denoise but it is usable if processed), 3.5 fps vs 2.8fps but pretty much the same buffer size (I think the K-m's is 1 picture larger) and a bit smaller/lighter. Also I think it has some better scene/auto mode or something but I recommend not using it anyway.

K200d on the other hand has a 11-point AF vs 5-point. It also indicates which AF point is chosen. I really don't care about these two features because focus and recompose with center point gives you much more control - it may AF on the wrong point, and the points are bigger than the indicators. However, the real advantage is being able to select which focus point - only really helpful in action shots - I have to center spot focus if my subject has objects in the foreground around it, and crop for composition. I wish the K-m had in its quick access control panel an option for AF from wide (5 point) to center spot.

Other advantages are weatherproofing, more dedicated buttons, green button, and top LCD.

IMO the other buttons aren't useful except maybe AE-L and the previously mentioned AF points. SR is automatically turned off with any timer which is easily accessible. Has a Fn button IMO is more limiting. By pushing it, it turns your 4-point control into what the K-m is without pushing it - access to WB, drive mode, ISO, and flash. RAW button is what I assigned my HELP button to - to switch from RAW+ to JPEG and back (you can customize it). Also it can be assigned to digital preview. Green button lets you switch between Av and Tv from P mode which I don't find useful since the control dial is right there.

However it does have Optical preview which is useful for old manual lenses and metering. Top LCD is not not visible when dark when I would use it, with a tripod, but VF works fine everywhere else.

JMO - I obviously went with the K-m.