Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Books

Call me old fashioned but I like to curl up with a BOOK and read to learn.

I bought some light reading on photography, it was cheaper than a class and I can practice for free.

David Busch's Quick Snap Guide to Using Digital SLR Lenses
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)
Quick Snap Guide to Digital SLR Photography: An Instant Start-Up Manual for New dS
Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second

08-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good for you, curl up enjoy the read.
08-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll enjoy Brian Peterson's books - and very practical also.
08-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
One of the COOLEST things here is hearing from people all over the WORLD! And seeing all the pictures from everywhere....I'm a world traveler at heart but by freighter not flight! No -never did it but never say never, right? I would love to have a duffle bag and a camera bag and just GO.......but here I am stuck in a cubicle in OHIO.

Thanks.

08-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #5

I have both those Bryan Peterson books and enjoyed them both and learned a lot from them. I also liked his 'Learn to see creatively' book - I'm sure I will add more of his over time. I have read them all several times and still seem to pick up on new stuff when I read them again (though that's probably because of my useless 'memory'!).

You will have to let us all know what those other books are like and if you have any other recommendations.
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Petersons books are excellent and are highly reccommended. Good choices. One of the things I love most about digital photography is that it captures all the information from every picture and you can see real world results right away, what works and what doesn't. Peterson mentions how in his self taught learning stages he wrote down the exposure info for every shot he took. I was never organized enough to do that when I was shooting film. After I read through Understanding Exposure the first time I couldn't wait to get out with my camera.