Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow that's awesome vmax84, so you work for FedEx as a pilot I suppose?
We are "contract" pilots for FedEx, meaning FedEx owns the planes and pays for the maint. on them, but I am employed by another company............

Translation: paychecks are much smaller. Oh well...........maybe one of these days we can make the final leap to "the big iron" and the big money, but for now, these are fun to fly, have really nice instruments in them and are very automated, and the company I am employed by is great.

vmax84

08-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

That is awesome, vmax84.
08-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye, hot pixels, time to get busy in PP.

Whats a "goober"
08-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
That is awesome, vmax84.
Right now, it doesn't feel awesome. The economy is so bad in my home state FedEx cut about 5 runs, so right now I'm working out of state, away from my home. I hate being gone so much, but that's how things are now and I guess at least we still have a job.

My Dad told me a long time ago I'd be living out of bag if I went this route with my job............ as usual, he was more right than wrong.

vmax84

08-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

that second shot is really exciting for some reason!
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
Banned

cool photos, cool job and cool planes. though I loathe FedEx. so does FedEx contract all of their pilots like this or just for smaller planes?
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
cool photos, cool job and cool planes. though I loathe FedEx. so does FedEx contract all of their pilots like this or just for smaller planes?
I think they contract all the small planes out (C-208 which I'm in, ATR-42, ATR-72,etc). The ATR's are actually ex-commuter people movers, but have been replaced in the commuter world pretty much by the smaller jets.

I work out of Indy........I think there are 4 C-208's and 3 ATR's there. The rest, and there are a bunch of them since Indy is one of FedEx's hubs, are all mainline FedEx jets. Have to be careful working around the big jets since you get too close to their rear and they'll flip you over. Last winter, I thought I had enough room behind one of their jets, but the ramp was slippery and he ended up pushing me sideways a couple feet. Really bad feeling in your stomach when that happens. I learned. :-)

vmax84
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
that second shot is really exciting for some reason!

Must agree, as I always get the same feeling looking back over my shoulder walking off the ramp...........aircraft tied down, safe flight and no dings put on the ole' girl, and time for a beer.

vmax84