Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, I didn't actually try this...and the flash will still fire/pre-flash at low power...but you might try setting the flash to wireless mode and set the custom setting so that built-in (RTF) flash is controller-only (not master).

Another idea: buy a cheap AF240FT or AF330FTZ flash and use them in the SB (spotbeam) mode; no flash will fire. Both flashes offer manual output as well with more power than the built-in flash but no automation on a K2000. The AF240FT is only ~$25 at KEH and the AF330FTZ (which is a somewhat better unit) will go for slightly more. I see a pretty good-looking AF240FT on eBay that will probably go for about $10 + shipping.

Last edited by AndrewG NY; 08-20-2009 at 09:24 PM.
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I was under the impression that the flash would automatically pop up if it thought it needed it
Only in Green mode. No one in this forum should be using Green mode.
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #18

You are dead right about green mode". Thank you fro the clarification re the flash popping up. I always use Manual and I never discovered this.
I do press the green button to get a starting poing for exposure. The K20 is right 80% of the time. A test shot to confirm.
08-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
OK, I didn't actually try this...and the flash will still fire/pre-flash at low power...but you might try setting the flash to wireless mode and set the custom setting so that built-in (RTF) flash is controller-only (not master).

Another idea: buy a cheap AF240FT or AF330FTZ flash and use them in the SB (spotbeam) mode; no flash will fire. Both flashes offer manual output as well with more power than the built-in flash but no automation on a K2000. The AF240FT is only ~$25 at KEH and the AF330FTZ (which is a somewhat better unit) will go for slightly more. I see a pretty good-looking AF240FT on eBay that will probably go for about $10 + shipping.
Does spotbeam mode mean a continous light just goes on or is it like the AF assist light only?

08-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Does spotbeam mode mean a continous light just goes on or is it like the AF assist light only?
It does not shine continuously, it is a red beam that projects a pattern just when the camera thinks it needs it for autofocusing in low light. It would presumably be projected in the same instances where it would strobe the built-in flash but it is arguably less objectionable/disturbing and more effective than strobing the flash.
08-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
It does not shine continuously, it is a red beam that projects a pattern just when the camera thinks it needs it for autofocusing in low light. It would presumably be projected in the same instances where it would strobe the built-in flash but it is arguably less objectionable/disturbing and more effective than strobing the flash.
Aha! I should look into this!
Thanks Andrew!
It's like the expensive digital flashes now which can turn off the flash but still have auto-focus assist!
08-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I should mention I'm not very familiar with third-party options; there may be something more capable for the money...but I expect that for the spotbeam function to work, it would have to have been considered a Pentax-dedicated AF flash.