Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Need help with problem

Today I noticed a spot on all of my pictures I just recently took. It is not on the lens because I took pictures with two different lenses and the spot was present in all of the pictures. So it has to originate inside the camera, on the sensor? I've used the dust sensor but the spot is still present. An ideas on what the problem might be and how to remove it? On the picture the spot is present just behind the airplane. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Images

08-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This thread should be moved to "Pentax DSLR Discussion" or "Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A".

Yes, it looks like a speck of dust on the sensor.

The first/easiest thing to do is to use the camera's "Sensor Cleaning" facility. I don't know what camera body you have, but the "Sensor Cleaning" is likely the last item in the "Set-up" menu.

If that doesn't work (likely), use an air blower to blow the dust from the sensor. I recommend a Giottos Large Rocket Blaster. If you don't have it yet, it's a good time to invest in one. You can use a foot pump to gently blow the dust out. Don't use canned compressed air, or your breath. They are hazardous to your camera.

If the blower still doesn't work (unlikely), it's time for a wet sensor cleaning. I bought a kit but haven't had to resort to this method yet.

I find a lighted desk magnifying lamp like this one helps tremendously.
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried the camera's sensor cleaning but it didn't work, so I'll pick up some air. I'll post this where you recommended.
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BTW, I've never seen the dust removal work when run only once, but I've often seen it work if you run it 10 times in a row.

08-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Mark. I tried it twice, however, it didn't work.
08-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You have dust on your sensor.
If the dust removal routine isn't shaking it loose, it's time to get a blower.
I use canned gas, but the ninnies tend to frown on such pedestrian methods, preferring a rocket blower instead.
08-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all. I'll wait until tomorrow and buy myself some air, or I'll take it to the camera shop to let the pros do it. Being a new camera owner I am a little cautious.
08-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #8

I just crank up the garage compressor...that gets rid of the dust but I"m frightened the sensor will fall out one day. For you noobs ..don"t try it..........

08-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dankuno Quote
Thanks all. I'll wait until tomorrow and buy myself some air, or I'll take it to the camera shop to let the pros do it. Being a new camera owner I am a little cautious.
Understandable, but do realize this is somethin you are expected to do on a semi-regular basis. Bringing in your cameras for sevrice every time you get a little dust would be like bringing your car in for service every time you need to adjust the seat position.
08-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

That should sort it.

Let us know how you get on.
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Problem solved. I took the camera to the dealer today and they blew the dust out with the "Super Giant Blower" from Promaster. I purchased the $10 hand held blower so I can now take care of these minor problems myself. Thanks again for the help.
08-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #12

Dankuno you write "Today I noticed a spot on all of my pictures I just recently took". This is a "dust bunny". When you changed lenses a tiny speck of dust has settled on your sensor. The shake function is not all that effective in cleaning the sensor as the dust is held in place by static electricity. Your manual gives direcctions for cleaning. If you are not confident of your ability to clean the sensor best send it to the agent's workshop.