Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #1

Pentax K-7 and AF-200fg flash - How?

This is a real beginner question. I've got a new K7 and a new 200fg flash, yep I know the flash is a cheapie, but it's all I can afford at the moment. Anyway, I've put the flash on the camera, turned both the flash and camera, set the flash to Auto and...nothing.

I'm sure I'm doing something or not doing something that is completely dumb, but after reading both flash and camera manuals I am none the wiser. Tried various flash settings in the camera, currently on auto. Flash test works fine, and the camera flash works, it just seems neither unit is talking to the other. Frustrating start to my DSLR adventure, can't even get the flash to work
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

08-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you put any batteries inside your flash?
08-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Did you put any batteries inside your flash?
Sure did. The flash works okay when you press the test button, but not when you a shot. Hate to think there is something wrong with either one, both are just out of the box. I was hoping it was a just a setting I wasn't adjusting or switching on.

Edit: The flash works when you take a shot if the mode dial is swithced to the "Full" setting. But not when in the P-TTL/Auto setting on the dial.

Last edited by Mallrat; 08-16-2009 at 04:51 AM.
08-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hmm not sure, maybe you can try messing around with the flash settings of your camera to see if you can get it to work.

08-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Took the camera to a local shop today. Shop guy said Pentax K7 and 200FG were not designed to work together, the flash will only ever work on manual when paired with the K7.

To prove his point he attached a Mertz flash to my camera and it worked perfectly. Funny, Pentax neglected to mention this minor point in the manuals. Anyway, I'll sell the flash and buy something third party that I know works with this camera.
08-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow that's nice to know, that's quite odd. Wonder if the 200FG is designed to work for the K20D. Besides man, you're using a K-7! You don't need that puny little flash on that beast.

But yeah man if you're looking for a third party flash, right now I'm using a Metz 48 AF-1 for my K-m/K2000. I don't know if the Metz that he attached to your K-7 was the 48 AF-1 or not, but I highly recommend it if it was and worked.
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I know. I was being cheap going with the little Pentax flash. Should have saved and gone with something better. Lesson learnt.
08-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallrat Quote
Shop guy said Pentax K7 and 200FG were not designed to work together, the flash will only ever work on manual when paired with the K7.
Why on earth does Pentax decide to shoot themselves in the foot like that? This is just pure incompetence.

08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallrat Quote
Took the camera to a local shop today. Shop guy said Pentax K7 and 200FG were not designed to work together, the flash will only ever work on manual when paired with the K7.
I've never heard this--it doesn't make sense. Both speak P-TTL protocol. I wouldn't recommend the AF200FG to anyone unless their only goal was to get around the physical incompatibility with built-in flash in combination with larger lenses that cast a shadow. But it *should* work, it's a P-TTL flash introduced only about a year ago, and is listed in the K-7 manual accessory list (p.300). The AF-360FGZ is a much better unit of course, as is the Metz 48 AF-1 (for Pentax P-TTL) and the AF-540FGZ.
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Why on earth does Pentax decide to shoot themselves in the foot like that? This is just pure incompetence.
I don't think Pentax did that at all. I think the salesperson is trying to sell him a Metz.

I would contact Pentax support.