Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens question 35mm / Dslr

I have a K10D DSLR with two lenses, Pentax 18-55mm AL, and a Quantaray AF LD 70-300mm both which came with the camera when purchased. I ALSO have a Pentax ME Super 35mm camera body with Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm, and Sigma ZOOM - 2 75-300mm which I LOVE playing with and have had for years.

When I bought the K10D, the salesperson told me that the lenses from the ME would work on the DSLR. I have not had the guts to try and wondered if it is true?

08-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdaaug58 Quote
...the salesperson told me that the lenses from the ME would work on the DSLR. I have not had the guts to try and wondered if it is true?
Yes. Good salesperson.

You can use the lenses.

But read THIS first.
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You'll probably find little point to using the Sigma zoom since it duplicates the Quantaray in just about all respects - unless you find you like it better than the Quantaray, in which case you'll probably end up retiring the Quantaray (not sure if the Sigma zoom features AF or not). Bbut the 50mm lens - this will become your very good friend in low light.
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Yep yep, all will work with various limitations depending on lens type.

08-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info

WOW! THANKS! Great info on my question and I hope I can figure out all the info on the link page to actually use the lenses. Part of the reason I want to use the "film" lenses is due to the "Cokin" attachments and filters I have for them. The attachments don't fit the DSLR size, and as corney as this may sound to you pro's here, I love to play with them.

I feel I have a slight grasp of photography tricks, ie subject placement, some lighting, focal point.. but there are volumes that I want to learn, and the same goes for both the ME Super, and the K10D and all they both can do. Is there any suggested reading that is geared for slightly advanced beginners like me?

Marc, no markings on the Sigma about Auto Focus... if that's what you meant by AF...

Last edited by mdaaug58; 08-18-2009 at 07:39 PM.
08-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I did mean auto-focus. I guess I wouldn't necessarily *expect* any special markings - I don't think most auto-focus lenses *say* they are auto-focus, since that's kind of understood with modern lenses. Just as most cars don't have markings on the outside making it clear they have automatic tranmissions. Of course, when AF was new, just as when automatic transmission was new, they made a bigger deal out of, as it was an important differentiator. If the Sigma is an older lens, it's probably not AF, but if you bought many years after the camera, it might be. You'll find out soon enough when you try it opn the K10D!

But I'm guess it's not AF and will be inferior in all respects to your Quantaray zoom.
08-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdaaug58 Quote
WOW! THANKS! Great info on my question and I hope I can figure out all the info on the link page to actually use the lenses. Part of the reason I want to use the "film" lenses is due to the "Cokin" attachments and filters I have for them. The attachments don't fit the DSLR size, and as corney as this may sound to you pro's here, I love to play with them.
You can use your Cokin filters with your K10 lenses. Just buy a matching adaptor ring (about 4 USD via ebay) for your Cokin filter holder and you're done.

Ben
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

That's it. I'm gonna write a guide as to what lenses you can use on Pentax, and hope the mods make it a sticky. It's a big feature that's more confusing than it needs to be (even the phrase "minor limitations" makes it sound far, far more drastic than it really is), and the question pops up often enough.

It's one of Pentax's best features, yet often gets painted as being less compatible than Nikon's system...