Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is actually feasible. The key would be to get the drawings done followed by molds and some one to make them. The molds would be key and the most expensive aspect. Since the would be screw on, they could work on many brands. The one feature that most hoods lack that I wish existed is the ability to use a cap.
We could slightly extend the screw in thread of the hood and design a cap to screw into that extension. It would have to be short enough not to vignette but long enough to hold the cap. Optionally, a cap with squeeze threads could clip on the inside of the same thread. That should take care of the design flaw problem you see in many hoods Blue.

The only issue with the square rubber hood would be tearing at the corners when compressed over time. If it were cheap enough no one would care as it doesn't seem to be an issue with the cheap round rubber hoods.

Cheers

Tom G

08-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
The only issue with the square rubber hood would be tearing at the corners when compressed over time.
Tom G
I need a gloss finish. I don't like the matte finish of a rubber hood, it looks cheap and rugged. The rectangular rubber hood must look expensive and rugged.
08-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #48

I have a 5-8euro Jessops Rubber collapsible hood (round) of 49mm that has an internal plastic piece that accepts filters/caps on its inside. It's pretty rugged, thick rubber, and for the cash I feel it is worth it. I can upload a photo if anyone is interested
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Seamuis,

Never had a problem with the clip on hoods but I don't do much street photography. They are secure enough for general photography but I can see how they might snap off if jostled too much.

Tom G
I bought one used from KEH and when it arrived, it was already missing one of the clips. It was busted before I got it. They were cool about it, though they didn't have any more to replace it. I just ordered one of the Hoya 3-position rubber hoods. Fully extended it should cover the digitized 50mm angle of view perfectly. I can fold it back for use with 35mm cameras. They look pretty heavy duty. We'll see...

08-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

No question in my mind that hoods improve IQ and I recall a post making the case that the digital crop argues for longer hoods than with film/ff. I use that tak 135mm hood on my Voightlander 180mm btw--looks a little goony but works fine.
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I recall a post making the case that the digital crop argues for longer hoods than with film/ff.
I've heard this before but I can't imagine why that would be. If a hood is properly designed for the lens, it will shield the lens without vignetting. The lens and hood don't know whether they're mounted on a cropped or full-frame camera. The shielding should be effective whether the whole front element is used or only its' center 2/3.
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #52
Pentaxian

It is true that you won't *need* a longer hood just becauseof the crop. But it seems to me a hood involves a tradeoff between being long enough to be effective in terms of cutting down flare, but not so long that it vignettes. Realistically, most hoods probably aren't as effective as they otherwise could be, because they are trying to avoid vignetting. What the crop could do is allow a longer / more effective hood without vignetting.
08-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It is true that you won't *need* a longer hood just because of the crop. But it seems to me a hood involves a tradeoff between being long enough to be effective in terms of cutting down flare, but not so long that it vignettes.
Thanks, that makes sense. That would explain why telephoto hoods are longer. They take advantage of the smaller fov by specifying a longer hood for better shading.