Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The 3-stage versions actually are for zooms but could also work well for the 50mm on DSLR.

08-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would refer you to heavystar on eBay, except that he appears to be out of stock! He usually sells a good quality metal hood in 49mm for normal lenses at a very reasonable price. I own several of these and have been very happy with them.

Here is the link to his eBay store:
eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Nikon Camera Lens Accessories
The nice thing is that his generic hood accepts a 58mm snap-in type cap!

Steve

(Also has wide-angle and tele versions...)
08-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would refer you to heavystar on eBay, except that he appears to be out of stock! He usually sells a good quality metal hood in 49mm for normal lenses at a very reasonable price. I own several of these and have been very happy with them.

Here is the link to his eBay store:
eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Nikon Camera Lens Accessories
The nice thing is that his generic hood accepts a 58mm snap-in type cap!

Steve

(Also has wide-angle and tele versions...)
thanks for that link! im going to buy this hood for my new auto-takumar 2/55 as it uses 46mm threads. everyone is going to think I have a leica lens mounted to my MX.
New Metal 46mm Screw-in Vented & Tilted Hood & Cap E46 - eBay (item 200358167009 end time Aug-28-09 21:25:57 PDT)
08-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
iht
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick replies and the helpful tips. And thanks Steve for the links.

Yeah, I've already got the metal hood for the Super Tak 135mm, so I'll just use that rather than spending more money if it's suitable on a DS. Thanks for the suggestion again.

Marc, when you asked "All of them? Why?", I take it you meant why I got 4 lenses of the same focal length? Or did you mean why I'd get a hood for each lens? If you meant the latter, then no, I was gonna share one hood between all the 50s, which is why I wanted a hood that would suit all of them.

As to why getting multiple 50mm lenses? I've currently got the Super Tak 50mm (from family), and I just got a M 50mm 1.7 with a Super ME package. I prefer to carry around the M lens just because it's easier to change lens, and I find its IQ compares well with the Tak. I was just wondering what a M1.4 can do, so I thought I could pick one up cheaply if I come across one. Pentax-A lenses seem significantly more expensive and I don't really miss the other auto features that much. I do miss autofocus though, which is why I'm hoping to pick up a FA one day. None of these are particularly urgent or anything. Does this make sense?

08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
pbo
Veteran Member

Yep, that makes sense... Sounds like addiction all right

I have M50/1.4 by the way. I use the shorter hood on it (I have tak135 hood, but it's too long and really looks awkward ) The lens is stellar from F/2 - uber sharp.
08-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe....not so (though you might think I'm in denial!). I'll sell off any surplus M lenses upon a purchase. It's more like I'd just like to compare the lenses. Obviously I can't sell the Tak as it's a family thing.

How does the 1.4 M compare to the 1.7? I actually really like the small size of the 1.7, and it's IQ is great to my eyes. I might end up not getting the 1.4 after all, although as I said, I do miss autofocus, so I'm still eyeing a FA, but it won't be any time soon unless a really good deal comes along.
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #22
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'll sell off any surplus M lenses upon a purchase.
Funding next purchase is an integral part of LBA

I don't know how 1.4 and 1.7 compare. I did have a Pentax-F 50/1.7, but I sold it because I realized AF was too little for the price I paid (i.e. price was too high for addition of just AF).
Besides, I don't really miss AF anymore - with split screen and some practice, you get used to not having that.

08-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Funding next purchase is an integral part of LBA

I don't know how 1.4 and 1.7 compare. I did have a Pentax-F 50/1.7, but I sold it because I realized AF was too little for the price I paid (i.e. price was too high for addition of just AF).
Besides, I don't really miss AF anymore - with split screen and some practice, you get used to not having that.
Amen!
08-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
There are even versions now that folds in 3-stages.
You can extend or fold depending on how much bright the sun is or the light source is.
Yes, I have one of these (the original Hoya) for my Pentax 35-105 A lens. I tried a cheaper generic copy first (much less expensive Fotiodox) which turned out to be a waste of money, as the rubber was extremely thin & floppy, incapable of retaining it's shape when unfolded.
08-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I picked up a set of hoods from this guy on eBay:

eBay Seller: tekdude2007: Lenses, zoom lens items on eBay.com
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Lens hoods

I also agree with the use of the collapsible rubber hoods. They can be obtained at Adorama or B&H for very little cost, I believe around 6-7 dollars. Obviously, you need to order for your filter size, but they are available in most sizes. They can just stay on your lens and collapse for easier storage in a camera bag.
08-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oldjohn Quote
I also agree with the use of the collapsible rubber hoods. They can be obtained at Adorama or B&H for very little cost, I believe around 6-7 dollars. Obviously, you need to order for your filter size, but they are available in most sizes. They can just stay on your lens and collapse for easier storage in a camera bag.
I use a rubber collapsible hood on all my primes; Image A 28mm, FA 35mm, FA 50mm and D FA 100mm macro. I love the thing. It's takes up virtually no space in my bag and I can add or remove a filter or cap very easily by folding it back. I bought the standard version because of the 28 and 35mm, but if you're using it only for the 50mm you could probably get a telephoto. I don't think it's necessary though. The standard hood does the job and is very compact. I also have the Pentax square hood for the 50mm, but it doesn't fit on the 28mm unless I use a filter, it won't accept a lens cap and it doesn't let me access the CPL.

I bought the three-stage rubber collapsible because I broke the hood on my 55-300 and I like it a lot too. The Pentax replacement was robbery, so I was glad to find the rubber replacement for about 1/8 the price.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-23-2009 at 07:11 AM.
08-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #28

I have the rubber screw in Hoya i got when I bought the FA 50 f/1.4. I dont' like it, as I can't have a lens cap on while the hood is on... will have to investigate.
08-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Latecomer to this thread, apologies if this has been covered already.

Try before you buy with these cardboard lens hoods !
PDF lens hoods for Pentax lenses
Digital lens hoods
Digital crop lens hoods for Pentax lenses
08-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konazz Quote
I have the rubber screw in Hoya i got when I bought the FA 50 f/1.4. I dont' like it, as I can't have a lens cap on while the hood is on... will have to investigate.
Some rubber hoods don't accept a lens cap..... dumb engineering. Ask before you purchase. All of mine do.