Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konazz Quote
I have the rubber screw in Hoya i got when I bought the FA 50 f/1.4. I dont' like it, as I can't have a lens cap on while the hood is on... will have to investigate.
I mount the rubber hood, then the cap fits inside the hood.
Same with the CPL filter, I screw the hood onto the lens, then I screw the filter into the threads in the center of the hood. Doesn't your hood allow that?

08-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #32

Yeah.. i don't really mind, seeing as I didn't even realise the lens was coming with the hood and i got the lens for a bargain in the market place... but yeah, dumb engineering.
08-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are pros and cons to both rubber and hard plastic hoods. Both will serve the intended purpose. I prefer the hard plastic as I think it provides a little more protection. Thankfully, I have never put this theory to the test.

Pentax MX, winder, M 35/2, with dial data back MX.

M 50/1.4

Original Pentax plastic hoods tend to be kind of expensive, but they look pretty cool. I took all these shots ages ago on the off chance I might want to sell some of my gear. Just can't part with it for some reason.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.
08-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Try a folding rubber hood. "Not huge", folds into & out of position in a fraction of a second, protects your lens like a rubber bumper in either position, looks great (IMO), & can be had at outlets like Adorama & B&H for just a few bucks.
That's what I have...cheap like Borscht...but also good like Borscht !!

08-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Another seller of reasonably (cheap) priced hoods on flEabay is "itdigitals". I just ordered 3 of the metal hoods for a very good price.
I have a bunch of rubber hoods and they work fine, just not very durable.

hth
08-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
I have a bunch of rubber hoods and they work fine, just not very durable.
They used to be durable back in the day when camera manufacturers made their own high quality thick rubber hoods. Nowadays it's impossible to find anything but cheap thin rubbered variant knockoffs. Such being the case, I'm always on the lookout for older lightly used OEM hoods.
08-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

They used to be durable back in the day when camera manufacturers made their own high quality thick rubber hoods. Nowadays it's impossible to find anything but cheap thin rubbered variant knockoffs. Such being the case, I'm always on the lookout for older lightly used OEM hoods.
I found my rubber hoods tended to rip when stored in the folded position in my bag. As Raymeedc noted not very durable. It is one reason I went to plastic. On the other hand I could buy three or four rubber ones for the price of one plastic hood.

Tom G

08-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Original Pentax plastic hoods tend to be kind of expensive, but they look pretty cool. I took all these shots ages ago on the off chance I might want to sell some of my gear. Just can't part with it for some reason.

Tom G
I agree Tom, the rectangular hoods are the coolest looking by far. I rarely use mine, but I don't intend to sell it.
08-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #39
Banned

I absolutely hate those plastic Pentax lens hoods. the clips are very easy to break. I have lost two of those types of hoods because a bump against someone in a crowd have snapped one of the clips off and rendered the hood useless. I now only use Takumar screw on hoods, as its the only way I will feel secure about the hood surviving a day of street photography. they look good though. nice MX by the way, with the data back. very cool indeed.
08-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually have a Pentax hood that has Pentax 1.4-1.5-2 written on it and it is a screw on plastic hood. I got it from KEH for a few bucks. It was in LN- condition and added it to an existing order so there was essentially no shipping. Prior to that, if I used a hood, I used one of of my Super Tak 135mm f3.5 lens.

One place I find the rubber hoods kind of cool is at Aquaria. They can be used up against the glass to help reduce flare and reflections of of the glass.
08-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I absolutely hate those plastic Pentax lens hoods. the clips are very easy to break. I have lost two of those types of hoods because a bump against someone in a crowd have snapped one of the clips off and rendered the hood useless. I now only use Takumar screw on hoods, as its the only way I will feel secure about the hood surviving a day of street photography. they look good though. nice MX by the way, with the data back. very cool indeed.
Seamuis,

Never had a problem with the clip on hoods but I don't do much street photography. They are secure enough for general photography but I can see how they might snap off if jostled too much.

Tom G
08-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks Audiobomber/Blue,

I have an idea. Maybe we could manufacture some sqaure rubber hoods?
What do you think? They would be cheap, look cool and provide some protection, A triple threat!

Tom G
08-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I found one at a local shop that was still good quality and the A-style cap attaches to securely. It's a Kalt 49mm.
The other rubber hoods I've gotten lately tend to crack and don't except a stock cap without some filing.

cheers
08-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Audiobomber/Blue,

I have an idea. Maybe we could manufacture some sqaure rubber hoods?
What do you think? They would be cheap, look cool and provide some protection, A triple threat!

Tom G
That is actually feasible. The key would be to get the drawings done followed by molds and some one to make them. The molds would be key and the most expensive aspect. Since the would be screw on, they could work on many brands. The one feature that most hoods lack that I wish existed is the ability to use a cap.
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #45
Forum Member

I got a generic round rubber threaded hood for my FA 50 1.4 that works well without vignetting from Adorama for $4.95 - quite a bargain compared to the prices I've seen Pentax charging for hoods. I like that I can collapse it and it offers some protection from bumps to the lens. But just how is it that they sell a lens that doesn't include the hood anyway? I find that rather irking.
Speaking of Pentax lens hoods, the ones they did give me with my other two lenses do not fit well at all. They are so loose they will more around and fall off just hanging off my neck! Is there any fix I can try to get them to fit more snugly?