Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #1

Inquiry: Vivitar Models

Hi, i've started another post about a few lens in the lens forum, and I just would like to ask a reallly simple question. as It seems quite hard to ssearch on this forum =(

According to this website:
Vivitar Lens Manufactuers
Vivitar Subcontracted Lens Makers

(1st two digits of serial number)

6 Olympus
9 Cosina
13 Schneider Optik
22 Kino (aka Kiron)
25 Ozone Optical
28 Komine
32 Makinon
33 Asanuma
37 Tokina
42 Bauer
44 Perkin Elmer (US)
47 Chinon
51 Tokyo Trading
56 Kyoe Schoji
75 Hoya Optical
81 Polar

I know those 3 brands are the good stuff. What else on th list are good stuff? i ask this question so i can know if the lens is worth purchasing if i bump into those good-but unsure deals!

thanks guys!!!!!!!

08-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Each lens manufacturer have stellar lenses of their own and not all lenses you would buy from them are excellent.
Pentax for example have made quite a number of lenses but not all of them are great.
Even if you get to the lens review database, you would be able to see this.
This is true for most other lens makers too so there is actually no easy way to just know the name of the manufacturer and be assured that you would purchase would be a great lens.
Lenses are known per individual performance.
You can also see this from our lens review database which among the vivitar o tamron or sigma lens perform well.
If you want to further your interest as to whether the lenses are any good, go to the slr lens discussion and find the thread of the "off-brand club".
There you will find some of the lenses or some of the brands you listed above and see which of those lenses performed.
Here's the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31353-off-brand-club.html
08-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for searching in this forum, I usually have better luck using the advanced search feature of Google. Using that, you can search within a specific website.

As far as quality of lenses, what GerryL said.
08-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
hi guys. thanks for your help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/70093-help-nee...ed-lens-2.html

this is my post about the lens. i've learn quite a bit about the google search now.
however, it seems like i am the first one that posted about the vivitar 80-200 komine lens...

any better luck searching? or any tips?

this is my search result
Komine Vivitar "80-200mm" 1:4.5 site:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ - Google Search

08-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
i've modified with various wording. but none of them seems to show me info about the lens of my recent purchase...
08-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It might be the same as these ones that can be found on the lens review database: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 80-200mm 1:4.0 +Macro

..or this: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 80-200mm F/4.5 Macro 1:4

or.. PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - C/D 80-200mm f/3.5
08-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Gerry. it is definitely not a soligor, not the second one either and the first one is without pic.
Again, yes, the best way is to test them out when i get the chance.