Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Heres a preliminary of what I shot today.
Looks fine, but I think you'd have beeter off not stopping down so much. The car and person were going to be in focus at f/8. Probably even f/5.6. Did you really need the cluttered background to be so sharp, too?

08-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
no, the background dosen't need to be sharp at all, in fact it would be better if it was blurred a bit.

I was thinking of doing a composite photo, where I focus on the subject, then take an out of focus shot and then blend them together in photoshop.

The idea of the job is that I'm taking staff photos for my dealership's new car department.

Thanks for the indepth help again Will. I think I'm understanding the skill set a lot better than before. Any more of these "Sunny 16" guides you could point me too? I don't really have a collection of standard stratgies for shooting... :P
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

take five more seconds and put the car and the subject facing down the isle, like from this perspective:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/3/27/12381556...park-i-001.jpg

and maybe you can include the dealership's sign in there as some extra kick

good luck
08-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
no, the background dosen't need to be sharp at all, in fact it would be better if it was blurred a bit.

I was thinking of doing a composite photo, where I focus on the subject, then take an out of focus shot and then blend them together in photoshop.

The idea of the job is that I'm taking staff photos for my dealership's new car department.

Thanks for the indepth help again Will. I think I'm understanding the skill set a lot better than before. Any more of these "Sunny 16" guides you could point me too? I don't really have a collection of standard stratgies for shooting... :P
If you want to blur the background, then just do a narrow DOF.
Do as Marc suggested and the subject would be in focus with the blurred background.
It would save time on the PP.
If after doing a narrow DOF and you still would like to blur more the background, then you can do PP.
You need not take another shot of a blurred background for PP.

08-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

PP softwares have a blur tool and you are better off just blurring the same shot in PP than taking another blurred shot and melding them in PP.
A blurred photo of the same would meld and match better 'coz it is the same photo.
Just overlay one on top of the other and mask the subject you want in-focus.
08-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Anyway, here is a quick fix I did at what you can do.
It would look more natural though if you just do the narrow DOF.
This was just quick so this is a bit shabby.
Attached Images

08-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Yep. As others have mentioned, do try and stay off f22 I try and stay off f16 most of the time, myself.

(One useful thing to know: if you're tempted to stop down that far, this is a good cue to consider breaking out a polarizer or contrast filter)

Also, if you don't have one, take a moment to look at an old-type manual lens with a focusing (and usually DOF) scale. You'll notice that the further away the subjects you want in focus are, the less you actually need to stop down to get all that you want.
08-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yep. As others have mentioned, do try and stay off f22 I try and stay off f16 most of the time, myself.

(One useful thing to know: if you're tempted to stop down that far, this is a good cue to consider breaking out a polarizer or contrast filter)
You mean like yesterday when I was shooting at f/40?