Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10d plus what?

Hello,
I am about to buy my first pentax. Obviously, I would like it to be a K7. Anyway, the problem is - I'm poor - . I don't mean living on a slice of bread a day poor, but poor enough that I can't shell out $1200+ for a body without lenses. I know how to operate a camera, and I know I wouldn't be happy with a k1000 and a k200d costs about the same as a k10d (at least where I am looking). Since I can't afford the latest and greatest I am going to be using the k10d with one lens for a while. What lens would you recommend for the best performance/value ratio. I undestand that to get the best perfomance I need expensive glass, but since that is out of the question, what do you recommend. Thanks

08-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey,

First of all, great choice with the K10d. It is a VERY capable camera that will last you at least a few years until you can afford an upgrade. Even the k20d is slightly more affordable (~$550-650 street) given the new release of the K-7.

Given your budget constraints, I would definitely recommend the FA 50mm/1.4 prime as a starter for ~$200-250 which is definitely one of the bargains provided by pentax. It's a fast lens that you'll be able to utilize in many situations.

Before I give more recommendations, it'd be best if you told us what type of photography you enjoy shooting.
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
edl
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums. I would do a few things if I were in your shoes:

1. Determine - What you would like to achieve in photography? Landscape, studio/flash, street, sports, travel, etc? Where will you use your photos - web sharing, printing?
2. Determine - What equipment is required to achieve #1. (you'll want to include a computer, storage, and photoshop or lightroom if you don't have one capable of running it)
3. Decide if you have enough $$$ in present or future budgets to purchase #2.

It's a good idea to sit down and go through the exercise before buying. Having an SLR requires a lot of time and money to achieve satisfactory results. For some they reap the benefits. But many might be better served with a "bridge" camera, like a Canon G9, G10, or Panasonic LX3 that is highly capable of great results for much less investment.

That being said, the K10D is a good choice. I happen to have one on ebay right now for a good price (shameless plug) if you decide it fits your needs

As for lenses, it really depends on #1.
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree on the K10D being a good choice - should give you years of enjoyment taking photos...
Lenses, hmmm, that's the most expensive part, unfortunately - they tend to hold their value well as opposed to camera bodies. But the FA 50 f/1.4 is a no-brainer for me - the most creative and capable lens you can get for the money, but it is not a zoom lens.
So if you're getting a K10D with kit lens, I wouldn't be looking any further at this stage (depending on how much money you'll have left over) unless you really want a longer focal length to capture something far away. Those types of telephoto lenses are much more expensive (for the better ones anyway), but you can get a standard consumer 70-300 lens (like the Sigma APO, Tamron or Quantaray versions) for around the same price as the FA 50 (even less if 2nd hand).

All the best in your choices.

08-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't be sad man. The majority here wish they had a K-7 but they can't afford one. Can't always have everything you want, just have to learn to accept and enjoy what you can have. I myself use a K-m/K2000.

I agree with SystemA, I own a FA50/1.4 and it is the only prime that I own right now. It's not a zoom lens and has a fixed focal length of 50mm but it offers superb image quality. I use this lens mainly for taking portraits of my friends and family. If you want a zoom lens, you could always try a 18-55 AL II, it's a good lens for a good price.

I have a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 that replaced my DA L 18-55 kit lens and I'm very happy with it but I don't know if you are willing to shell out the money for it since it's a bit more costly. You can find both the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5, DA 18-55 AL II, or FA50/1.4 in the Marketplace once in awhile for a good price.
08-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The kit lens DA 18-55 AL II should start you just fine.
Kinda affordable nowadays and your focal lengths would be covered from wide to standard tele.
Converted to the 35mm equivalent, this would be 27mm to 82.5mm.
08-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

I know what you mean about wishing you could afford a K-7. I wish I could afford one too. I had an *istDL but finally managed to upgrade to a K200D and I'm really glad I did. I love the SR. It helped to sell the *istDL on Ebay to help pay for the K200D.
I have since gotten an old sears 135mm macro manual lens to play with for a really great price. I also picked up a manual Pentax 50mm 1.7 really cheap too.
The only other really big (for me) outlay that I made in a lens was a Tamron 70-300 mm. I would love to buy some expensive lenses but it's hard to justify lenses that cost as much or more than my camera. Maybe if I can get better...

08-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You didn't give a total budget, but one of the 18-250mm ($400) lenses may suit you until you better find out what you really want. Or you may find a used 28-105 for less than $100. If the talk of a fast fifty interests you, again a used manual can be had for $50 or so.
08-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I can be REALLY cheap, er frugal....

This is my Pentax gear, more or less:

K10D
18-55 mkI kit lens (recomended first lens)
FA 50 f1.4
Tamron AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 LD Macro
M42 adaptor ring
Jupiter 9
super tak 55 f1.8
super tak 150 f4.0
Various M and A lenses

I cary the first three lenses 90% of the time.

Todays prices (approx only)
K10D $450
18-55 $75
SMC-A 50 f1.7 $50
Tamron 70-300 $175

so, $750 for a three lens K10D kit, more or less depending what prices you can find on the used market. This gets you started, then, once you know what gear you need, upgrade.
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I thought I'd also mention (along with many others here) that I vouch for the 18-55mm kit lens. This is the original lens I used with my GX-1L (Pentax equivalent *istDL) dSLR along a trip to asia which is what really got me into photography. It is indeed a superb kit lens for it's class, especially when I directly compared it to my buddy's Canon XT + kit lens. The version 18-55mm AL II version 2 of the lens is suppose to be a tack better in image sharpness, so consider that as well.

For ~$50 it really seems like a no brainer, especially as a starter lens. Do check out my flickr for the *istDL + 18-55mm. It was my first time using a dSLR so there is a certain feel of rookiness, but it certainly will give you a good idea of how the 18-55mm kit lens performs!

From China - a set on Flickr (all taken with 18-55mm kit lens)
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Another vote for the 18-55II (or the new WR version). There's a reason they sell it with the camera - it's the obvious first choice for most people. Some who know exactly what they are doing and why they might want something else might go that way, but if you don't already know exactly what you want and are just looking for a very good but inexpensive general purpose lens, then the 18-55 (II or WR) is it.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
08-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Another vote for the 18-55II (or the new WR version). There's a reason they sell it with the camera - it's the obvious first choice for most people. some who know exactly what they are doing and why they might want something else might go that way, but if you don't already know exactly what you want and are just looking for a very good but inexpensive lens, then the 18-55 (II or WR) is it.
Plus it is a pretty affordable auto-focus lens and it is a Pentax with SMC coating and a DA lens to boot (specially made for the DSLRs).
08-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the good ideas. I shoot mostly nature. I'm interested in macro, but I can wait on that. I like the kit lens idea as well as the old 50 for the price. Thanks again for your suggestions
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote
Thanks for all the good ideas. I shoot mostly nature. I'm interested in macro, but I can wait on that. I like the kit lens idea as well as the old 50 for the price. Thanks again for your suggestions
If you are interested also in macro then just get the Raynox DCR-150 or the DRC-250 and you can just attached that to the front of the kit lens and you are good to go.
Would also cost you just $50 for the Raynox be it the DCR-150 or the DCR-250.
You can find discussion of the Raynox here on the forums too.
Very good macro lens attachment without buying the dedicated macro lenses.
08-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'll jump in and recommend the 18-55 kit lens also. I have always been very satisfied with the results this lens has given me. Some people speak highly of the 18-250 and it will cover a pretty big range of shots. There are always a lot of used options out there. You will find that many of us here in the forum aren't rich either and we have to save up, buy used, trade, etc to support our hobby. There is a lot of excellent glass for Pentax cameras out there that can be purchased for very little.