Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #1

Auto Sears 300mm f5:5 focus is stuck?

Hi to all! I'm sure you can tell from my title that not only do I not know what to call my camera lens, but I can't even describe what is wrong with it. Actually, I inherited some old lens and camera equipment and would like to make sure they are in operating order before I sell them. I've actually thought of taking up photography but don't really have the time necessary to properly dedicate. I have two small children and about all I have time for is raising them.

Anyway, I have what I believe is an Auto Sears 300mm f5:5 screw mount lens and the portion of the camera that you turn or adjust is stuck. (It has numbers on it up to 200 and above that, a series of lower numbers). We do not have a vintage camera shop locally so I really don't know where to ask for assistance. If I could get it unstuck then I could possibly try it out and see if it works properly. Any advice?

Thanks,

Cory

08-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Cory.
Any picture of the lens so we can be sure of what you are describing?
08-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi GerryL, thank you for the quick response. I've taken a picture of the lens and I hope you'll be able to tell what it is. It does have written on the inside where the actual lens is "Auto Sears 300mm f:5:5 12973 Lens made in Japan.

08-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's the big thingy after the tripod mount (starting from the mount) that you turn that is stuck? Doesn't turn?
Was it turning before or it was stuck since you got it?
Looks like the Pentax Takumar lenses.

08-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Gerry, thank you.....now that is terminology I can understand. It is the big wide thingy you turn after the tripod mount. I'm not sure when it became stuck (not turn at all). I received all these lenses and kept meaning to find a camera or photography place to take them to but when I discovered there wasn't one around here, I just stuffed them away for another time. I live in Florida so perhaps the humidity, salt air, etc. has caused it to stick? Is there a lubricant or something to use to get it to turn?

Thanks for your patience!

Cory
08-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you ever tried forcing it a bit just to see if it would move?
These things shouldn't actually rust as most of them are made of aluminum.
What could have happened is the lubricant became dry or too sticky.
Binoculars and lenses used sticky grease before to dampen the focusing so it won't feel too loose.
That grease might have dried up inside.
If you force it a bit, it might move.
Once you get it moving a bit, it might loosen.
There are camera repair shops where you can send the lens, but I don't know how important that lens is to you.
If you plan on selling and those would command a good price repaired, then I suggest you go that route.
08-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you very much, Gerry. You have been really helpful. I plan on going to visit my sister soon and maybe there is a camera repair shop near her. At least now I know what type of lens it is and the possible problem.

God Bless,

Trish

08-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you can't find local repair shops then you might want to try the ones posted here in the forums links.
They can be trusted as far as I know and you can get a quotation for the price too before the actual repair.
Here is the link: Camera Repair and Service - PentaxForums.com Links Directory