Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smaller backup

I already have a K10D and a large set of lenses. I feel like I would like a smaller backup digital that could be easily carried around for impromptu shots. Would the istDS be a good choice? I also would like a backup unit with AA batteries and one that would be a good platform for Tak's, M and K lenses. Although it seems I could go to a newer model than the K10d, I don't see the K10d being the backup, so I am thinking smaller. I guess the choices would be the ist cameras or the K100d or maybe the KM. Any suggestions.

08-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Thread moved to Beginners Corner.
Welcome to the forum, I assume you made a mistake when you posted this in News and Rumours.

K200 has the same sensor as the K10 and is smaller, you just lose the rear wheel.
08-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentastic Quote
I already have a K10D and a large set of lenses. I feel like I would like a smaller backup digital that could be easily carried around for impromptu shots. Would the istDS be a good choice? I also would like a backup unit with AA batteries and one that would be a good platform for Tak's, M and K lenses. Although it seems I could go to a newer model than the K10d, I don't see the K10d being the backup, so I am thinking smaller. I guess the choices would be the ist cameras or the K100d or maybe the KM. Any suggestions.
Also have the K10D (and K-7). If I'd wanted a smaller body, I'd go istDS if very small camera needed as well as bright viewfinder or TTL flash . Everything else is way better on the K-m.
08-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you don't really need the interchangeability of the lenses, then you might want to try the Canon G9 or something of the sort as you said, it would only be for impromptu or quick shots.
Rangefinder size camera which are very easy to tote and put inside you camera bag too without using too much space...and they take good images too!

08-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For impromptu shots and carry it everywhere camera, a point and shoot would probably be a much better option. Even a DSLR with a slightly smaller body and using Taks or M lenses is still going to be heavy to carry everywhere. The weight difference between your K10D and another slightly smaller body isn't going to make much difference at the end of the day. Having a backup body isn't a bad thing but if I had one I would probably end up carrying both around.
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I agree that a p+s would be a better option for "impromptu" shots, if you want a DSLR the DS would suit you perfectly. You would have to be happy with no S/R and having to use the menu to change some settings, but the advantage would be your K and M lenses expose perfectly (unlike the K10 !)

It is a cracking camera. My first DSLR and I wont part with it. I now use a K10
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd also consider the P&S option - no DSLR is *so much* smaller that I'd be taking it tons of places I wouldn't take the K10D. Especially given that pretty much any case that holds one holds either. But I say that as someone who's primary DSLR's (DS and K200D) have both been smaller than the K10D, and indeed size was a big reason I chose those models.

If I were choosing a smaller Pentax DSLR to serve as a backup to the K10D, I'd be going with the K-m. Works fine with manual lenses, and provides SR, which I count as a bigger advantage than the slightly larger/brighter viewfinder of the DS or any of the other relatively small advantage it might have over the otherwise superior K-m. Outfit the K-m with an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier if the viewfinder difference ends up bothering you too much.

08-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would also recommend a DS. Besides the reasons already mentioned, you can, with judicious bidding, currently pick one up on Ebay for about $200 (I picked up a backup DS body on Ebay a few weeks ago in mint condition for $177)
08-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd probably get another k10d given the price range :P

If that doesn't fare well with you, then a P&S or a film camera perhaps?