Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #1

K20D: The on/off switch, and battery life

When out on a shoot in which there might not be something to shoot for periods of time of say 30 seconds to a minute, is it better for the battery to turn off the camera in between shooting, or just leave it on? This is assuming anti-dust shake is off. What about longer periods of time, like 3-5 minutes? Should the camera be switched off in this situation? I've noticed that the K20D has a "sleep mode" if the camera has not been used for a while when the on/off switch is on. Is the battery being drained in sleep mode (if that is a real thing)?

08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I leave mine on all day long and very often forget to turn it off overnight. I get great battery life. However, I must add that I don't use autofocus, have automatic review of photos turned off, and in general make very little use of the rear screen.
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think there's a need to turn the camera off between shooting.

But I think it's a good practice to turn it off before putting it in the bag. Several times the battery in my camera body got drained because I didn't turn it off before putting it in the backpack. Something might have touch the shutter release, waking up the camera.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
08-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To be honest, I think the effect will be minimal loss of energy either way. I believe you will find that it's really subjective as to whether you turn off the camera or let it into standby for brief periods between shooting. I tend to turn my k10d off for these periods, though sometimes I forget.

As SOldBear advises though, it's definitely a good idea to turn the camera off when you put it into the bag. I left my k10d + battery grip on one time, on its side, in my camera bag. When I when to do the shoot, I found my 8GB memory card full of blanks

08-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to know the answer to it as well - but then again I think I prefer the convience of sleep mode over turning it off (except when putting in a bag where something can turn it on). I like to have most of the settings reset when I turn off the camera so when I turn it on for the first time in a new area I don't have odd EV, ISO, WB, Drive settings, etc. However during a shoot, I leave it on with a 1 pm poweroff/sleep mode so it saves whatever settings I was using, so when indoors my WB, ISO, EV stay.

Using the k2000 I get spectacular battery life anyway with AA's - standard non LSD kodaks gave me 1400 pics and I just got duracel LSD's, the sanyo eneloop kind, which are supposed to be significantly better.
08-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only time I *ever* turn my camera off is when changing lenses (because I've heard that having it off makes it less likely to attract dust, and so the SR menu will display when I turn it back on with a manual lens mounted). The "sleep" mode is as good as off in terms of power consumption, in practice. I don't even bother turning it off before putting it away - even if something touches the shutter and wakes it up, it goes back to sleep soon enough. Only thing I am careful about in that respect is to make sure I'm not in playback mode when I put it away.
08-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. These are the answers I needed.
08-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Our cameras can be turned off? what?

08-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I leave mine on all the time once I take it out of the bag. My battery lasts a long time. I have gone weeks sometimes before recharging. I have only had it go dead twice in the 2 years I have had it.
08-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

+1 for it being OK to leave camera 'asleep.' I'm not actually used to cameras you *have* to turn on, yet, so I forget all the time.

I try to, anyway, but I really have no battery life issues. I have automatic review off, the timer on meters and going to sleep set pretty long, chimp moderately, almost never use flash, and AF a fair bit. What I do do is try and turn the grip on and off when not actually using those controls: that button I keep half-pressing accidentally, particularly when chimping.

Apart from messing around getting to know the camera, (which I do a fair bit of, still) I still tend to shoot like it's film in there: not too many exposures till I get rolling, then shoot like someone else is paying. (Since no one really is, that's just as good. ) Anyway, I think I've only once gotten a low battery warning, after just not charging for a long time, and then letting rip. With the grip, I haven't even come close to running out of juice so far.