Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

tight fiting lens ?

I purchased a K2000 from Adorama thru Amazon; the camera and kit lens 18-55mm works as it should. I am pleased with my first DSLR and kit lens. I then ordered a Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 from Adorama thru Amazon July 2, 2009 but did not try it our on my K2000 until August 16, 2009. Now 47 days from the date of placing my order I have questions and concerns about proper function and quality control of the DA 40mm Lens. Please note that my day job demanded a huge amount of unavoidable overtime work and family duties preempted me from testing the lens. I know now that was a mistake.

I have a question about the DA 40mm f/2.8 lens. The force it takes to mount the lens on the camera is excessive. I line up the 2 red dots and turn the lens counter-clock-wise. (correction-I should have said clock-wise. That was a typo-mistake.) The fit is tight as if the mechanical tolerances are over size. The kit lens goes on like silk; the mechanical force to mount the lens is firm and smooth. It is what I would expect. The 40mm Lens to my touch and feel is like a interference fit to mount the lens, it just seems too tight. Can damage occur to the camera body? Is the described situation normal? Does anyone have a recommendation? > Chris >

Last edited by vixit101; 08-18-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: mistake in the text
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Unless you have two copies of the camera body and two copies of the lens, it's difficult to day if the force is "excessive."

My DA40 does take a bit more force to twist than my DA50-135 (I don't have the 18-55 kit kens), but I think the small size of the DA40 makes the force appear greater that it actually is. At any rate, I wouldn't call it "excessive."

Do you have any K-mount body you can try the DA40 on?
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vixit101 Quote
I line up the 2 red dots and turn the lens counter-clock-wise. > Chris >
That might be a problem. You should turn clock wise to install the lens. If you try it counter-clock-wise, you will break something.
08-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
Correction

I am sorry; I should have said clock-wise. That was a typo-mistake. I typed it off fast at work, I should have proof read my text more careful. > Chris> Yes clock-wise to mount a lens.

08-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
reply for SOldBear

"Unless you have two copies of the camera body and two copies of the lens, it's difficult to day if the force is "excessive."

My DA40 does take a bit more force to twist than my DA50-135 (I don't have the 18-55 kit kens), but I think the small size of the DA40 makes the force appear greater that it actually is. At any rate, I wouldn't call it "excessive."

Do you have any K-mount body you can try the DA40 on? "

The only K-mount I have is the K-mount on my new K2000. The 18-55mm kit fits smooth. Perhaps I am not accustomed to the K-mount; it is the first time I have used one. > Chris
08-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have found a couple of lenses that are tight like that that had a small ding on the locking tabs. one way to check this is to cover with ink from felt tip pen on both sides of tab, and mount lens on camera couple times, then look to see if and where ink was removed.

jim
08-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some of my lenses go on easier than some of my other ones, but it's no biggie, not everything is perfect I guess. My DA L 18-55 kit lens screws onto my K2000 very easily also. When I bought my Sigma 17-70 to replace it, it feels very rough when I screw it on, but it's not a big problem, I kind of like it when it's tighter because it feels more solid.
08-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the lens mount at all?

If the lens won't mount, there is a manufacturing defect. That it is two months after purchase shouldn't prohibit a return, although Adorama/Amazon might have you ship it to a repair facility rather than back to them.

If the lens mounts, but is tight ... well, you could just chalk that up to tight manufacturing tolerances on Limited lenses, that the firmness of the mount will prevent wobbling of the lens and intrusion of dust and such. A feature, if you will.

You might find a Pentax retailer, or a used camera shop that has some Pentax bodies, and see if mounting the lens on another body reveals anything.

08-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It sounds to me like the lens has a slightly warped bayonet. If you think the force required to mount it is excessive (the very wording you used makes me think it is), then return the lens for another one. If you are past the OTC replacement terms, then send it for repair and show better diligence regarding trying out expensive purchases next time.
There is a semi regular poster here named Helen Oster who is the local Adorama cheerleader. If Adorama gives you static, you might want to wake her up.
08-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Damn Brit

Helen will probably see this thread and respond but you can always email her helen.oster@adoramacamera.com, just remember to reference this thread.
She's nice and will help you in any way she can.