Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, since you asked for strong opinions rather than carefully reasoned analysis I'll weigh in for the K20D. I like mine so much I bought a second one.

The backward compatibility and in-camera SR combine to give you an amazing array of very fine lens options at reasonable prices.

08-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #47
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The limiting factors in the quality of photos you take will always be photographer first and foremost, lenses second, and in this day and age, dSLR camera body a more distant third.

Weighing out the desirable features, budgetary constraints, etc. are the most important issues here, because I don't think one can go wrong with any of the Pentax options listed (also wouldn't consider the Nikon D60).

Money less of a problem? K20D first, but consider a good lens to add to your collection.
Money tight? K2000 or K200D aren't bad options, though later on down the line (depending on expectations) there may be a little remorse for not going with the K20D, but that may not be an issue.
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

k20d or k200d with lens. You really can't go wrong with either.
08-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Hi, I am in a similar position as the OP. I am looking to get into DSLR (Pentax specifically because of the possibility of using older lenses) but I am financially constrained.

A K20D is out of my $$ reach. I would prefer a K200D over a K2000 but like the K2000 2 lens kit (price-wise)and it would fulfill my needs for now. The prices for used equipment older models are not that much cheaper so I am thinking a newer model is the way to go.

My question is how good or bad is the 50-200mm lens that is sold with the K2000.

08-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
My question is how good or bad is the 50-200mm lens that is sold with the K2000.
You can check out the Lens Review Database for more first-hand experiences, but from personal experience, it is a very good lens for it's price. Most people shell out the extra for a 55-300mm for the reach, but if you receive a good copy of both, the IQ will be very similar from what I've read.
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Hi, I am in a similar position as the OP. I am looking to get into DSLR (Pentax specifically because of the possibility of using older lenses) but I am financially constrained.

A K20D is out of my $$ reach. I would prefer a K200D over a K2000 but like the K2000 2 lens kit (price-wise)and it would fulfill my needs for now. The prices for used equipment older models are not that much cheaper so I am thinking a newer model is the way to go.

Do take a look at a used K10D too -- they seem to be awfully cheap. The K2000 looks like a great piece of gear, but the K10D offers some things like the front/rear dials that some people prefer.
08-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #52
Inactive Account

the above capture was taken by Ramon, a K20 shooter, the K7 will better the K20 but, the 20 is no slouch either.

Last edited by Rener; 08-20-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: correction
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The 50-200mm is an excellent lens!

Mike
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Jools, if you *want* a K20D over the other two models but it's too expensive, seriously consider a used K10D (~$375). It shares much of the K20D feature set (obviously not all of it, but most of it) and has equal resolution to the K200D and K2000. Personally, I also strongly prefer the ergonomics and handling of the K10/20D over either of the other two. At least the used K10D route is what I chose earlier this year. If you like the kit lenses--which are very good values and fine lenses in their own right--the 18-55 II (available used for < $100) and 50-200 (available used for $100 or just over) would be a kit that would cost you less than $600--at or under the cost the K2000 2 lens kit but with better quality lenses. There is no kit out there that would compare to the K10D used "kit" value. Plus, if you buy these all used, they will hold that value (or very close to it) for a couple more years, so you won't be out much if you upgrade later.

Also, I have used the 18-55 II lens for awhile and have been very pleased with it. Sure, I'd prefer a fixed maximum aperture, but those are costly and I'd rather spend that on primes at this point. I just acquired a used 50-200 and my first outing has left me very impressed. In my opinion, the 55-300 isn't worth the extra $150 for a used copy unless you really need the extra 100mm at the long end (which is admittedly important if you regularly have that need).

Last edited by indytax; 08-20-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add comment
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happygodavid Quote
  • I would prefer light and small, having grown accustomed to a P&S, but I'm not completely opposed to the idea of something bulkier.
The K2000 is certainly light and small, but I think your other requirements rule out the K2000. My K10D feels good in the hand and not as bulky as its class counterparts from other brands, IMHO.
  • I am outdoorsy. E.g., I'm going to the Boundary Waters Wilderness and Canoe area in Northern Minnesota for 6 days. Wet, cold, potential spills from a canoe... I definitely want weatherproofing (btw, doesn't the K200D offer weatherproofing as well? I seem to get the impression from this forum the K200D isn't weatherproof).
The K200D offers lesser weathersealing (none of them are waterproof) than the K10D/20D. The K2000 isn't weathersealed, IIRC. In my experience in rugged outdoor conditions like the Boundary Waters, the K10D is the minimum camera I would want, coupled with DA* weathersealed lenses.
  • I would rather buy only nice lenses (within my budget). E.g.- I'd prefer to not buy a kit lens if down the road I'd be better off with the equivalent specs (but better quality) for say, $350.
The DA* lenses are the only way to go for your IQ and weathersealing requirements. That's expensive, so you could also consider the new WR versions of the kit lenses (less weathersealing than DA*, but still sealed). If you opt for the DA* lenses, the K2000's weight balance would be way off and the compact body benefit would be lost with such large glass.
  • I have no intention of photographing a Nascar event, either now or ever in my lifetime.
Well, that settles that debate...
  • I would like to photograph nature scenes and people. Now, Nascar fans, on the other hand could make for interesting subjects...
Any of the Pentax bodies (or Nikon) will suit you well for the subjects you want to shoot. The K2000 and D60 are not good options for the locations you'll use the gear in. The K200D is a minimum, but a used K10D or K20D seems to be the better choice in my estimation. Good luck!
08-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

This is a very good combo, the K200D and the kits lens + 50-200. I have added in the Canon 500D close-up lens to the 50-200 for macro work. Plus the FA 50 1.4 for my prime.

Would I do it again? Not quite. I'd still stick with the body, and I'd buy a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the 55-300 Pentax. As for a prime, I might have saved for the DA 35 Macro as it has a better focal length and f1.4-2.0 is a little too shallow. I need 2.8. (And I'd still get that Canon close-up lens).

More money, but an excellent kit. I strongly emphasize putting less money in the body and most in the glass. You do NOT need DA* lenses for amazing quality shots. If money is constrained, the extra 2% performance to IQ is not noticeable on 99% of the shots. Go to the Petax Gallery and see what each lens can do.
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Well I want to say thanks to all for your input.

SystemA and MRRiley: Thanks for the lens info. It gives me comfort in knowing that acquiring this lens would robustly add to my system without remorse.

pingflood and indytax: Thanks for the K10D angle. It's something I have seen and considered. It just might be what I end up with since I read it's a solid camera. And the used combo suggestion is up my alley.

Aristophanes: Thanks for the body-only idea plus lenses. It's a route I had not considered but in quiet contemplation, perhaps might work.

You know, it's one of those things...
Some 25 years ago I similarly agonized about plunking down money for my Nikkormat with f1.2 50mm lens as a college student. I still have the sucker, simple as can be and reliable as long as you know what you are doing. Heavy as can be and could be used as a hammer if need be. Point is, cameras/lenses have limitations and you try to get the most you can get for the buck. Then learn from it and learn on.

I have never purchases photography equipment online. Any problems? Best Places? I am looking at Adorama and B&H. I live in rural Wisconsin and don't have access to a photo place that easily.
Thanks again, Jools.

Last edited by Jools; 08-20-2009 at 09:02 PM.
08-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #58

I have never purchases photography equipment online. Any problems? Best Places? I am looking at Adorama and B&H. I live in rural Wisconsin and don't have access to a photo place that easily.
Thanks again, Jools.
I ordered my K20D from Adorama through Amazon (you can get some deals that way sometimes) and experienced no problems. The camera actually made it to me faster than estimated! You shouldn't have any problems if you order online, as long as you stick with a reputable seller.

P.S. : My friend has a D60, I've used it. It's not a bad camera by any means, but it pales in comparison to my K20D.
08-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
1) Most of the people touting the superior weather resistance of the Pentax bodies do not own any weather sealed lenses.
Most of us also realize that weather sealing is still of value even with an unsealed lens. But in any case, weather sealing is just one factor. I personally put both it and AF very low on the list, SR very high.

QuoteQuote:
Finally, whenever I have moving subjects I find the shutter speed required to properly capture them to be more than sufficient to avoid camera shake.
Don't shoot telephoto much, I take it? Shutter speeds of, say, 1/60" can be perfectly adequate for capturing a "moving subject" but veyr problematic for combating camera shake.

QuoteQuote:
Again, I said for _primarily subjects in motion_ but apparently it must translate into "for everything" somehow.
I'm talking about subjects in motion. Just not racehorse speeds.

The point being, sure, slow AF can possibly cost you a few shots. So can camera shake, And so can subejct motion. It's always a bit of a crap shoot. But improving AF without improving stability is but one way to increase your odds.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
08-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #60
Veteran Member

My Vote is the K20D.