Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

WANTED: STRONG OPINIONS as to which camera I should buy?

If you want to get to the point, just skip to the end of this post where the list of cameras is.

I'm a first-time DSLR buyer (been using Pentax point and shoots for 15 years).

I'll share my logic thus far, and I need help figuring out which way to go. I've got it narrowed down to: the K2000, K200D (or its upcoming replacement), the K20D, or the Nikon D60. I would rather not spend more than the current cost (as of this post) of the recently price-dropped K20D.

One path I could go would be the K2000; I could just spend more money on better lenses. Another would be the K200D; I would save money up front over the K20D, but it's supposedly better than a K2000. One path I've strongly considered is holding out for whatever Pentax will come out with to replace the K200D; it'll still be in my price range and probably have a few solid tweaks and extra features, and it's due out any day from what I've read. The K20D just dropped in price apparently; interesting idea I've considered as well... maybe I'd be getting the best camera out of all of the above by going this route? I have no idea. I'm new to the DSLR world; I've only owned Pentax point and shoots. The last camera I've considered is the Nikon D60 (probably close to a K200D, I think). The only reason I'm bringing this up at a Pentax forum is because I figure everyone here has probably gone the Pentax path, and you'll all give me reasons why to stick with Pentax because you each probably carefully considered the decision just as I am. Also, I'm about to go on a week-long camping trip with a friend who has a Nikon D70, and he's going to spend the entire week trying to convince me to go with Nikon by letting me use it, telling me everyone else has Nikon, etc.; I need some opinions on the other side of the fence to help balance out his view.

Again, the cameras are:

Pentax K2000
Pentax K200D
Pentax K200D replacement
Pentax K20D with current price drop
Nikon D60

Let the opinions flow!

Thanks!

08-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D!!! let it rain on your camping trip and see how much shooting your Nikon friend does. Of course, you'll need WR lenses as well, but a K20D with non WR lenses is better than a non-WR D60 and expensive nikon WR glass. Also, the D60 cannot use all modern Nikon lenses (due to lack of in-body AF-focus motor) like the K20D can use ALL Pentax lenses ever made (including even some OLD Nikon lenses). In-body shake reduction that makes all lenses SR is another advantage to the K20D.

No contest dude! K20D!!!

Mike
08-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the k20d out classes the others with it's feature set and chassis design.
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would get the K20D if I could, like others have stated it is in a class of it's own. It offers superb image quality for the pricing. For the price it's at right now, no other DSLR at the moment can offer something this good for this price. The K200D and K2000 are depending on what you really want, they're kind of like trade-offs although some say the K200D is better. and if you are going to consider the D60, you also might want to consider the D3000 that will be releasing soon. But there's no point on saving for that since with that money you can buy a K20D instead.

08-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It comes down to what lenses you intend to buy, really. If you are intending to buy Pentax lenses, then a Pentax body is your only. If you intend to buy third party lenses there really is no reason to by a Pentax and a lot of very compelling reasons to choose anything but.
08-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I can help you drop the D60 fast. I had to chose between the K20D and the D60 so I started with the Nikon for the weekend with multiple lenses and fired off close to 500 shots and compared them to my exisiting SLR-like Panasonic FX30. In good light, the Nikon was always softer than the old FX30. Back to the shop, a clerk who was very familiar with the camera stepped outside with me and we shot flowers, people, cars side by side with same settings (D60 vs FX30). Still no joy, full refund. Case closed. Picked up the Pentax and it beat the crap out of my FX30 as it should. Please drop the D60 based on one guy's experience. Plus, the D60 has a built-in help system, you can't get caught by your photog friends with that!
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

K20D @ $619 @ B&H!! Best camera bargain going right now! (Or, wait a few months and get the K7 @ the same price.

08-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Inactive Account

K20D.......
08-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

what in gods name is a "STRONG OPINION"

do you want, we can get MRRiley to flex while holding a K20D and yell at you, "DONT BE FOO< GET A K20D AS YOUR TOOL< RAARRRR"

anyway ya.. get the K20D, they are cheap now and the best pentax has to offer not counting the K7.
08-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As a recent Pentax convert, I made the K200D my first body. I want (and plan to get) the K7 as soon as I have some more $ available. I could have bought it and went for kit lenses, but that's not my style. With my Olympus gear I always had high grade lenses, but a body that was a year or two (or five!) old. Unless a certain body has a specific feature or set a features that will benefit your shooting now, go with a year or two old body. Any body in the recent past will provide exceptional IQ.

I opted to buy the K200D, grip, and some fast F2.8 lenses - and I have no regrets. The results are outstanding and I have been shooting my recent paid work with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by happygodavid Quote
If you want to get to the point, just skip to the end of this post where the list of cameras is.

I'm a first-time DSLR buyer (been using Pentax point and shoots for 15 years).

I'll share my logic thus far, and I need help figuring out which way to go. I've got it narrowed down to: the K2000, K200D (or its upcoming replacement), the K20D, or the Nikon D60. I would rather not spend more than the current cost (as of this post) of the recently price-dropped K20D.

One path I could go would be the K2000; I could just spend more money on better lenses. Another would be the K200D; I would save money up front over the K20D, but it's supposedly better than a K2000. One path I've strongly considered is holding out for whatever Pentax will come out with to replace the K200D; it'll still be in my price range and probably have a few solid tweaks and extra features, and it's due out any day from what I've read. The K20D just dropped in price apparently; interesting idea I've considered as well... maybe I'd be getting the best camera out of all of the above by going this route? I have no idea. I'm new to the DSLR world; I've only owned Pentax point and shoots. The last camera I've considered is the Nikon D60 (probably close to a K200D, I think). The only reason I'm bringing this up at a Pentax forum is because I figure everyone here has probably gone the Pentax path, and you'll all give me reasons why to stick with Pentax because you each probably carefully considered the decision just as I am. Also, I'm about to go on a week-long camping trip with a friend who has a Nikon D70, and he's going to spend the entire week trying to convince me to go with Nikon by letting me use it, telling me everyone else has Nikon, etc.; I need some opinions on the other side of the fence to help balance out his view.

Again, the cameras are:

Pentax K2000
Pentax K200D
Pentax K200D replacement
Pentax K20D with current price drop
Nikon D60

Let the opinions flow!

Thanks!
08-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
do you want, we can get MRRiley to flex while holding a K20D and yell at you, "DONT BE FOO< GET A K20D AS YOUR TOOL< RAARRRR"
Ha!

+1, though.

If you have no compelling reason to want otherwise, the K20d is the thing: you just can't beat it on value and capabilities right now. While, of course, glass is the best investment, this is also a good reason not to buy bodies twice cause you end up just plain crying out for an upgrade: in the medium to longer term you'll do much better this way.

Which is to say, I might well choose to buy a K20d and six or seven hundred in nice glass over a K-7, but the couple hundred you might save on a lesser body than a K20d just doesn't add up to that much glass: within a few months it'd likely hardly matter.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-20-2009 at 08:33 AM.
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Banned

since you have no investment in glass for either side of the fence at the moment, I am also going to recommend the K20D. at its current price it is without a doubt the best deal on a digital SLR body there is. period. it outclasses the D60 in virtually every way and can be had for not a whole lot more than a K200D. I dont know anything really about an eminent replacement for the K200D, so I cant comment on that, but if there is... it will likely make the K20D even more affordable. in which case I would still recommend the K20D.

what lenses are you looking to initially invest in? in all honesty the two DA kit lenses are a really good choice and can get you from 18-200mm. (DA 18-55mm II & DA 50-200mm) if you can afford it I would suggest the 55-300 over the 50-200 but either way I believe those are really good choices for someone just coming from a P&S. of course to really top the K20D off, I would suggest the new 18-55 and 50-200 WR series of lenses to give you a complete weather-resistant combo.
08-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #13

I'd choose my GX10 over the D60, so certainly the K20D is a way better camera. Loads more controls on the body but none of those annoying scene modes getting in the way. The D60 has no DOF preview and not even auto exposure bracketing for god's sake!! If you want to improve your photography that's a non starter surely. For me it's a no brainer, but you might want to consider the size/weight of the K20D. It's a hefty beast next to the D60.
08-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Inactive Account

for the price of $619, k20.
if you want to get extra lenses, get the k2000.
i have the k2000 and it's a great camera. the only reason for buying this over the k20 was at that time the k20 was a few hundred dollars more expensive than the k2000 and the k2000's AF is actually better than the k20's.

if pentax comes out with a k200 replacement with better AF. i'm buying one
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Forum Member

The only reason you shouldn't get the K20d is if the size and weight are too much to handle for you, but I've never found them to be a problem.