Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax kit lens

Hi everyone !
First of all iam totally amateur in photography. (a few months ago i even didn't know what aperture means)
I bought a k20d with 18-55 mm kit lens in spring this year.
I like shooting textures walls, rusty surfaces etc., but my problem is that
every shot is blurred, maybe not in focus at the edges at full size.
Tripod is always there.
This is because iam doing something wrong with the aperture or this is because of the quality of the lens ?
i just want it to be sharp focused everywhere.
Don't have any other lenses at the moment.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks,H.Peter

08-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Peter, and welcome to Pentax Forums

I'd love to answer your question, however i can't until I see a photo. With all the photo data.
The photo data will usually be available to most of us, with a right click of our mouse. However some photo sites remove it from us.
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi, it's true that it's hard to tell what is wrong without seeing a sample. I imagine though you're still learning the use of the forum, so I'll offer some basic input.
First, read the manual for your camera. Focus on the basics first and worry about the other stuff later.
I would guess that if the entire image is out of focus the problem is most likely camera shake. If you're using a tripod turn SR off or set the shutter to a 2 second delay. If you're shooting handheld, make sure the shutter speed is 1/125 or faster and that SR is on.
If some part of the image is in focus, but other parts aren't then the problem is most likely too large an aperture setting or mis-focussing or both.

I'm assuming:
You're using AF;
Your camera is at default settings;
You're still learning how to use your camera.

hth
08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentxfun Quote
Hi everyone !
First of all iam totally amateur in photography. (a few months ago i even didn't know what aperture means)
I bought a k20d with 18-55 mm kit lens in spring this year.
I like shooting textures walls, rusty surfaces etc., but my problem is that
every shot is blurred, maybe not in focus at the edges at full size.
Tripod is always there.
This is because iam doing something wrong with the aperture or this is because of the quality of the lens ?
i just want it to be sharp focused everywhere.
Don't have any other lenses at the moment.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks,H.Peter
Try some shots in Green or Program mode to see what aperture shutter speed and ISO the camera chooses as a cross-check vs what you're doing. Do the photos in automatic mode look better?

08-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want to check your camera settings, seems to me it would be simple to test different settings on a test wall. Just up the aperture & slow the shutter speed to gain a wider depth of field.

To maximize the benefit from the kit lens, try to take shots at 35mm to 55mm with the aperture at f/8 to f/16. The Pentax kit lens has a sweet spot at 35mm - especially when set to mid apertures.

Good luck!
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi guys, thanks for your nice posts.
Here are some examples that ive taken recently.
Had to downsize, the problem is still visible i think.
What i think its quite good in the middle, but at the edges blurred, not in focus,
shaky maybe, i dont know...
SR off with tripod, same results.
Ill try it later what you have suggested and post back the results.
Thanks, Peter

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP3867.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  542.3 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP4057.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  458.5 KB
08-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Damn Brit

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.
First of all, you have Sharpness on your camera set to soft. Press Fn button, then OK button. Use the down button to take you to Sharpness (it's the last option). Try +1.
You say you are using the tripod but are you also using either the 2 second timer or the remote control with 3 second mirror up. If not, when you press the shutter and the mirror flips up, both of these actions can cause slight vibration that will be magnified by the tripod.
The first shot is f/22, resolution suffers after f/16.
The second shot is f/3.5 which should have been ok given the subject matter but you didn't need that wide an aperture. Try f/8 in Av mode and see how things look. Just so you know, f/8 and f/11 are your friends when you are trying to get everything in the picture in focus. f/16 is also your friend in the same way but is better reserved for bright conditions.
09-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
To maximize the benefit from the kit lens, try to take shots at 35mm to 55mm with the aperture at f/8 to f/16. The Pentax kit lens has a sweet spot at 35mm - especially when set to mid apertures.
Really? I thought the sweet spot was around 22-26mm.

09-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, it's somewhere in the middle, not at the extremes. Probably varies a little depending on what aperture you test at and whether you are more concerned with center or edge sharpeness. Also presumably differs from version I to version II of the lens.