Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rut Ro - tried to change the focus screen

I bought a split focus screen for my k20d, went to install and scratched the thing. For those of you that may attempt to use tweezers covered with shrink tubing on the ends, be forewarned it just makes it that much more difficult to hold.

I reinstalled the original screen and of course there is a few small pieces of dust that I could live with, but when I went out with my pentax 50mm 1.7 smc-A and a pentax 50-200mm DA, I found both to be overexposing the shots a bit when all along prior to this they were almost always underexposed just a tad.

I've taken around 2,000 pics with this in all kinds of environments and lighting having not seen this before.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on here? I can see through the viewfinder fine and if you weren't looking for it, you may not even see the dust that is there.

Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate it!

08-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think a couple of specks of dust would affect your exposure readings. I have swapped screens often and have never noticed any changes in exposure with the stock screen after putting it back in. Check your settings. It is quite easy to change things accidently. On my K10D I have inadvertantly changed the metering mode (spot, center weighted,multi segment) when turning the mode dial. Switching from multi to spot could have a big effect on your exposure. There are several other things that are easy to change but I have done this several times, most recently this past weekend when I took 80 or so shots set on spot metering and wondered why they were coming out a little off.