Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Filters

I'm deciding whether I can use a UV filter all the time. But what about a Polarising filter? Can that be used all the time?

John

08-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John,

You can use any filter any time on any of your lenses.
Are you concerned about degrading image quality, and hence are asking the question?
If so, keeping with the higher end multi-coated variety of filters ensures you minimise this risk.
Whether you should or not is really up to you - for protection (UV/Haze) or effect (CPL/ND/Grad, etc).

I keep my CPL on my 12-24 all the time, serving as both protection and polariser for my landscape shots - I then just take it off for indoor shoots if necessary.

Check out these previous threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/335...ur-lenses.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/594...questions.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/517...g-filters.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/36581-uv-filters.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/346...g-filters.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/299...got-proof.html

And there are many more... as you can see this has been extensively discussed...
Hope this helps.
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A UV is designed to be used all the time - which is to say, it provides no optical advantage ever, but hopefully only a little degradation that you trade against the feeling your lenses are "protected" in some way. A polarizing filter is designed to be used for the specific effect it achieves. Most of the time you wouldn't want that effect, nor would you want the stop or so penalty in light transmission that comes with it.
08-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Marc, if you are looking to a filter to protect the lens wouldn't a clear filter be better than a UV? Advantages of a clear, sometimes called a protection filter over a UV are:
  • They are usually cheaper
  • They are usually clear and add no color cast
  • They do not interfere with the UV filter already incorporated into the sensor

There could be more but I am too tired to think of them at the moment.

Something like this one, HOYA FILTERS - PROTECTOR rather than this one, HOYA FILTERS - UV

08-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Corner, a filter is not a DSLR.
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Igilligan

You dont need no schoolin'

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Moved to Beginners Corner, a filter is not a DSLR.

"A filter is not a DSLR" you got the first chapter dialed already, you can phone it in.

I am so glad I am not in striking distance right now!
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
"A filter is not a DSLR" you got the first chapter dialed already, you can phone it in.

I am so glad I am not in striking distance right now!

Next week I'll explain to you how to remove a telezoom from your arse Gus.

Welcome to the forum John, don't mind us.
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Marc, if you are looking to a filter to protect the lens wouldn't a clear filter be better than a UV? Advantages of a clear, sometimes called a protection filter over a UV are:
  • They are usually cheaper
  • They are usually clear and add no color cast
  • They do not interfere with the UV filter already incorporated into the sensor
Sounds good in theory. Is this actually true in practice?

08-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Sounds good in theory. Is this actually true in practice?
Pretty much all glass has some UV filtering properties. The rare earth glass used in some lens elements (I think they are called low dispersion) may be more UV transparent, but the average glass filter isn't made of that type of glass.
I saw a chart with the transmissive properties of various glass types a few years ago and was quite surprised by how little difference there was between a UV filter and a plain glass one.
Having said that, there is no way in the world a UV filter will "interfere" with the sensor filter. If some UV light is removed at the front of the lens, there is just less UV light for the sensor filter to absorb/reflect.
I'm firmly in the no filter unless it is going to do something category. I don't use "protective" filters. I see no reason for their existence. They add the potential for flare, they have the potential to reduce sharpness and contrast, and in return they provide little, if any, tangible benefit.

I'm pretty sure they were invented by P.T. Barnum.
08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm pretty sure they were invented by P.T. Barnum.
They made more sense at earlier times, it seems, before lens coatings were all that fancy: I think the deal is that the UV protection doesn't hurt anything and sometimes helps, when people are trying to take their scenic shots.

My philosophy on them is that they go on lenses which are particularly vulnerable to scratches, (generally wides which have shorter hoods: I use rigid lens hoods for protection, for the most part,) and sometimes on teles which might potentially actually be shooting through a lot of haze or be used in the crap or in salt spray.

Also, my favorite lens for dealing with small children not only is one of the ones with kind of a vulnerable front element, (A 35-105 for my old Canons like the Pentax A version, ) ...is apparently just that cool to look at that said little kids want to touch it. They're astoundingly good at it. You look over at their parent, and next thing you know... It's a lot more convenient sometimes to let em do that, get it out of their system, and unscrew a filter.
08-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am not advocating the use of any filters. I too am in the camp of filter for a purpose. But nearly every filter manufacturer is pushing these protector filters as the next big thing in lens protection.
08-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah, but maybe that's because too many people on to them regarding the UV filters, so their looking for a new hook. I don't know; maybe I'm overly cynical. I agree that UV filters probably made more sense before lenses themselves had good coatings, so I don't think the whole idea *started* as a scam.
08-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

When I dropped my camera with my Sigma 70mm macro attached, I had a UV filter for protection only. By total luck, the lens corner hit the ground right at the filter. The filter was destroyed...glass broken and filter ring bent beyond repair. No problem. I simply removed the filter and replaced it with a new one. No damage to the lens itself. I will swear by them. Or at least when they land just right.

Larry