Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blurry pics

I seem to need help with my bird pics. No matter what I try if they are moving I get a sort of halo effect. Both the attached pics (I hope) show this. I am using the K-M pentax Shooting at 1500 @f5.6 with an iso 200. the camera is set on spot metering. I find if I shoot any faster I lose too much light. If I set the ISO say to 400 I get so much noise it is deafening. the zoom I am using is A sigma at full 300ml. Plus 5.6 is as far down as the camera allows me to go. If there is no attachment please let me know where I have gone wrong!

Attached Images

08-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #2

Original Poster
Oh, good it worked. If you use your control plus keys you can bring them up and you will see particuarly around the heads the 'haloing'.
08-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you have shake reduction on or off and are you shooting handheld or on a tripod? My first thought would be to use a smaller aperture - 8 or 11, which will bring your shutter speed down and give your lens a better chance for a sharper capture. Even with SR on, if you're trying to hand-hold a 300mm lens and chase a bird around the sky, well, that takes pretty good skill and a camera with very fast AF to pull it off. I'd suggest working up to it by practising on slower-moving birds eg wedge-tail or similar and if you can, use a shorter lens and crop into it until your skills build up.
08-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
the zoom I am using is A sigma at full 300ml.
Try it with a better lens. Don't expect miracles from the cheap sigma 70-300 zoom lens, especially at the 300mm end.

08-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

if you are panning or tracking a moving subject shake reduction can cause this. shake reduction is for stationary objects only
08-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually look very good for fully racked out 300mm @f5.6. I can't see any problem with the first pic and only a slight glow on the second. Good suggestions so far to cut off SR while panning and try different Ap, slower birds and such. Might also try cutting back your lens from 300mm to just 250mm or so to see if that clears up anything since f5.6 is pushing it at 300mm.

I am not very familiar with the k-m and do not understand when you say your cam does not allow you to stop down past 5.6. Thats pretty wide open for 300mm and makes for a less defined pic.
08-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok. The reason I have it on 5.6 is to let in more light, because as soon as I use the full zoom I lose light, and as I mentioned if I go to more ISO I get noise. And as for a slower moving bird, well the kestrel is only just moving. So I should take the shake reduction off? Simico I take what you say to heart as a friend who was with me when I tried for the incredible golden bosun shot, got a much sharper picture than I with her dedicated Pentax lens. Thanks for your kind words Lee. Re the 5.6 seems when I shoot at 1500 on manual I just can't get a lowerer aperature than 5.6, but if I go to 1000 I can then get f4.5, but then I am back with the too dark option unless it is a brilliant sunny day. But I think I might just have to find faster glass, and try a few of these suggestions.
Thanks all.
08-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you'll be better of turning up the ISO and learning to live with - or better yet, control through post-processing and/or better JPEG settings in-camera - the noise. Most PP softwareis pretty good at removing the kind of nosie you'd get at relatively low ISO levels like 400, especially if you shoot RAW. If you shoot JPEG, you can do yourself a favor by using natural mode instead of bright, not turning up the sharpening, not using D-range or any other features that improve the dynamic range of the photo but introduce noise as a consequence.

These aren't bad for handheld shots at wide open aperture of moving subjects, but you're running into the limits of what can be done with what you've got. BTW, it isn't the camera limiting you to f/5.6 - it's the lens. A "faster" lens would allow you to go to f/4, or even f/2.8 if you've got the money and the arms / tripod for it. Or, it would allow you to shoot at f/5.6 with much better quality, because you wouldn't be at the extreme wide open setting.

08-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think I have to concur this is a trademark wide-open aperture (non-EX lens) sigma look. In other words, soft.
08-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Speaking of which, I found a Pentax 80-320 f4.5 5.6 lens here on Oz Ebay, and it looks OK but the seller is replacing it with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Any one know how it would compare with my Sigma 100-300ml 1:4.5-6.7?? Not sure I will be any better off.
Meanwhile thanks so much for all your advice here, I really do appreciate it, and will certainly try some of your advice. Seem to do ok with stationary objects, but must admit just not as sharp as I would like. I might even try my old manual 70-200 pentax lens. Thanks. Will begin a new thread so I can show you a blue wren which stayed still for a split second. No blur but he is just not sharp to my way of seeing. Thanks again.
08-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Try it with a better lens. Don't expect miracles from the cheap sigma 70-300 zoom lens, especially at the 300mm end.
I second that!