Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #1

usb mini USB for 20D and K-7

Pentax I-USBI7, USB Interface Cable for K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D, Optio S5Z, MX, T20 & IST-DS
Mfr. Part: 39233 SKU: IPXIUSBI7

alright.. so this is the official high dollar pentax factory cable for the 20D and others..

Q1- is it truly necessary/mandatory to use the [proprietary] pentax transfer USB cable or will a USB mini-B 2.0 cable fit the slot for transfer.

Q2- same as above..with this caveat..the pentax K-7 cable is not even available as reported from the Pentax online store.
not even a part number could be given over the phone at present.
any k-7 owners using an aftermarket USB cable?

if so..
1-is it just a mini or micro USB 2.0
2-if not.. what the heck is it?

appreciative
sevee

08-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

It's neither micro nor mini USB. It's flatter from sides than mini USB, but thickness is about the same. They're available at monoprice here for less than two bucks a piece. I bought two there for my K10D, and they work well.
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

And it's not proprietary to Pentax. Many digital cameras use them - I don't know why though...
08-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Because you can't simply feed analog video and audio trought USB plug. Putting even 3.5 jack for that on a compact would waste a lot of space (especially inside the camera) so why not create one plug for all.

It would be actually interesting to read in its specification what this plug supports by hardware. K200d has audio and USB cables. Fuji f100fd has USB and AUDIO/video cables.

08-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

USB Cable

The K10D and K20D, at least, don't have audio, and they don't route their video feed through the USB cable. They both have a seperate 3.5mm phone jack to display images on a TV screen. So, I don't see why they couldn't have used a standard mini-USB port.

Actually, video could be transferred over a USB connection. It would just be necessary to digitize the analog video signal and send it one packet at a time. Ordinary TV's (NTSC, PAL), at least, before the recent conversion to digital TV, were not equipped to receive digital signals.
08-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The K10D and K20D, at least, don't have audio, and they don't route their video feed through the USB cable. They both have a seperate 3.5mm phone jack to display images on a TV screen. So, I don't see why they couldn't have used a standard mini-USB port.

Actually, video could be transferred over a USB connection. It would just be necessary to digitize the analog video signal and send it one packet at a time. Ordinary TV's (NTSC, PAL), at least, before the recent conversion to digital TV, were not equipped to receive digital signals.
Video is routed through the camera USB port just not to the PC. USB cable I-VC28 is USB to RCA. Many camera manufacturers use the exact same cable as the Pentax I-USB17, Nikon Konica/Minolta/Sony and Panasonic. it is far from proprietary.
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
They both have a seperate 3.5mm phone jack to display images on a TV screen.
Eh, 3.5mm jack is for wired triggering purposes, no?

08-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Eh, 3.5mm jack is for wired triggering purposes, no?
Yes, noblepa was wrong about the 3.5mm jack.