Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm unhappy with K-7 settings. Help me custom the settings like k20.

Hi all

I'm an enthusiast/amateur that prefers now to shoot jpegout of the camera. I only use raw when I might need more control.

My customs settings on k200d and k20d are/were (k20 akready sold) bright mode with contrast + 1 and Fine sharp + 2.

I love the jpegs it produce like that on k200/k20, really fond of them, so I'm trying to reproduce the same effect on my new k7.
Until now I couldn't.

After some exeriments, the best I could do so far on k7 is to change to natural and apply -1 on low/high key, + 1 on contrast and +1 on sharpness and also have shadow correction OFF since it seems images get washed with it.

Any thoughts ?
Care to share your k7 custom settings ?

I would appreciate the help.
Thanks in advance.

08-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Hi all

I'm an enthusiast/amateur that prefers now to shoot jpegout of the camera. I only use raw when I might need more control.

My customs settings on k200d and k20d are/were (k20 akready sold) bright mode with contrast + 1 and Fine sharp + 2.

I love the jpegs it produce like that on k200/k20, really fond of them, so I'm trying to reproduce the same effect on my new k7.
Until now I couldn't.

After some exeriments, the best I could do so far on k7 is to change to natural and apply -1 on low/high key, + 1 on contrast and +1 on sharpness and also have shadow correction OFF since it seems images get washed with it.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.
if you are looking to do fine sharpness, just turn the rear e-dial to change the sharpness to fine sharpness. turn the front e-dial, inorder to adjust for further contrast adjustment. hope this helps.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
122 views and only two forum members tried to help

Thanks Pentaxor and kittykat46 (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66450-k-7-owners-s...tml#post721282)

I think I tune it now.
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Honestly, unless you print directly from the camera and don't download to your PC, shooting JPG is borderline insane ..... it makes no sense whatsoever and is harder to use than RAW not easier.

Hi all

Until now I couldn't.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

08-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alfisti, I normally shoot raw+. On k20d I was 90% happy with the jpeg results since they came out really cool. I'm talking regular images not for other "works" that require further PP.

For instance, for birding i only shoot jpeg, then browse images and pick the keepers, a little bit of contrast, saturation or sharpness if needed and that's it, if needed

That's why when shooting with the k7 I tried the same customs settings that on k20.
When I upgraded from k200d to k20d I did the same, just seems this time k7 didn't behave as the k20 when I upgraded from k200d
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For jpeg's, try the Vibrant setting, saturation to +2, reduce hue to 0, high/low key 0, contrast 0 and sharpness to +1. use white balance at auto and compare with same settings and white balance at daylight. I liked the K20D's color rendition, but the guy i shoot for always wanted a more 'neutral' look. The white balance on the K7 gives (imop) a more "neutral' look to my pics. I think this may get you close to what you are looking for.

Last edited by ivoire; 08-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ivoire

08-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks ivoire
de nada.... let me know how close it gets you
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not all of us have K7's
08-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
...For jpeg's, try the Vibrant setting, saturation to +2, reduce hue to 0, high/low key 0, contrast 0 and sharpness to +1. ...
Was going to test it now but you say "reduce to 0", but settings are all at 0, so you mean, maintain all at zero except saturatio + 2 and sharpness +1 ?

08-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Was going to test it now but you say "reduce to 0", but settings are all at 0, so you mean, maintain all at zero except saturatio + 2 and sharpness +1 ?

Interesting. Mine were set beyond 0 and I adjusted to the settings mentioned. so, yes to your question and then adjust to your specific preference. How we see things is always different, but for me this was a close approximation to what i saw with the K20 basic setting
08-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys use the "Shadow Correction" option ON ? or OFF ? Why ?
08-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/70876-shadow-compensation.html

Since it doesn't change the exposure, I don't see a reason why not to have shadow correction on - it pulls more of the detail out of the shadows that would normally go to all black - is the way I understood it. Now this can kill contrast and add noise in darker areas - so you may need to PP it down (still saves you from going to raw).

Since the JPEG engine settings seem different than the k20, does anyone know if they are similar to the K2000? I'm looking for good settings for JPEG too. I have been using natural with the default -1 sharpness, but I am finding I need to PP the jpegs a bit much. Originally I had it like this with NR off so I could do NR to my taste first then sharpen to have superior control over noise but it takes time, and I can save that time for images that really need it and that are shot in RAW+
08-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eruditass
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #15

I'd actually take a different approach than Eruditass. I always prefer to leave Dynamic corrections (highlight and shadow) Off unless I have a specific reason for turning them on (high contrast, mid-day shooting that needs a miracle solution to be salvageable or when I really don't want a lot of contrast). Otherwise, I really love the contrast I can get from the beautiful limited lenses. I paid for that contrast, why would I want the camera to remove it. Again, I do use these settings during horrible shooting times (after around 11:00am or before 6:00pm outdoors) but that's about it.