Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Please Help me understand AF Adjustment on K20D

Okay I did something stupid: I did not leave well enough alone.
I figured, the AF adjust feature is a neat sounding thing, lets get all my lenses so that they are focusing at exactly the right spot.

So I set up the batteries on the table outside in the sunlight. I used my FA43 set at 1.9 with SR off. My "control" shots came very close to being spot on. Slightly front focused. (By this I mean the camera focused slightly in front of the target. Am I using the terminology right?)

This is where it gets weird. Small AF focus adjustment to the + OR - BOTH brought the focus point closer to the camera -- away from the target. A -10 brings the focus point close to the target but still not as close as before I started.

Now for the really weird part. I figured okay this is crazy, I want to go back to the way things were before I started this mess. But now when I set AF adjust to 0 or even turn of AF adjust completely, the camera focuses WAY in front of the target.

BTW, all adjustments were to the "Apply One." I did not touch the "Apply All."

Please help me understand whats going on or what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

08-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh boy. I sure want to see how this get's answered. Been thinking to try this myself.

I'd only ask if you'd tried the menu reset functions, as in returning menus back to default settings.
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just a wild guess, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't your test bed. The AF sensor is seeing a much bigger part of the screen than what the indicator light sees.
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Oh boy. I sure want to see how this get's answered. Been thinking to try this myself.

I'd only ask if you'd tried the menu reset functions, as in returning menus back to default settings.
I have not reset the menu to default settings. I am giving it a little time to try and figure out what is going on, so I can understand. In the end, though, I will reset to defaults and if that doesn't fix things than that would really stink.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just a wild guess, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't your test bed. The AF sensor is seeing a much bigger part of the screen than what the indicator light sees.
That is a very good point. I thought that could be a problem, so I then started taking pictures of some paving stones in the backyard. They are 1 ft by 1 ft patio stones that are very textured. I took shots of those at roughly 45 degrees aiming at the seem between two stones. The same focusing behavior was demonstrated clearly.

On another note, I have been using center point focusing for all the test shots.