Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which prime lens?

Hi,

Could you all tell me what prime lens would be better (glass & image quality) ranging from good to best? Or give comment on one of these lenses?

I just bought the porst, but an original asahi pentax-m or -a seems also interesting..
Should I go for the asahi or is Porst blowing them miles away regarding IQ and glass quality?

- Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 55mm f1/1.2
- Asahi Pentax-M SMC 50mm f1/1.4
- Pentax-A SMC 50mm f1/1.7
- Asahi Super Takumar SMC 55mm f/1.8
- Asahi Super Takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by ezechiel; 08-30-2009 at 01:50 PM.
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have a Pentax-A SMC 50mm f1/1.7 and I'm happy but i think for price/perfomance will be even better the Pentax M SMC 50mm f1/1.7.

I like much the Pentax SMC for better contrast and color.

If you go on the Takumar topic i think probably you could find some picture even of this lens.

Note:
The first lens I've never heard.
08-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Between the two Pentax K-mount lenses, you'll find fans of both. Most say the 1.7 is sharper and more contrasty at f/1.7 and perhaps even f/2, but of course the 1.4 is half a stop faster, if that matters. Some like its bokeh better too. I'd go for the 1.7 just because you can get an "A" version for less than the cost of the "M" version of the 1.4.
08-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you already bought the Porst I'd just stick with that; it's a sweet piece of glass.

08-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the M f1.4 and it's one of my most-used lenses. Sharp, great bokeh, excellent colour and tonal range.
Check out the lens review database - you'll get plenty of opinions from people who've used the lenses you're interested in.
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
Hi,

Could you all tell me what prime lens would be better (glass & image quality) ranging from good to best? Or give comment on one of these lenses?

I just bought the porst, but an original asahi pentax-m or -a seems also interesting..
Should I go for the asahi or is Porst blowing them miles away regarding IQ and glass quality?

Thanks a lot!
I'm not familiar with the Porst, but of the others.... There's nothing like the Takumars if you don't mind shooting manual mode. Something special about those lenses. The 50mm Tak will give you such depth, sharpness, contrast, that your pictures will come to life. The 55mm 1.8 equally so.

The A series is great if you will use a flash every so often, and it's my favored lens because of the added versatility. Wonderful bit of glass there too.

The Takumars are just a step above IMHO.
08-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote

The Takumars are just a step above IMHO.
I'll second that sentiment.

08-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot!
I would lean towards the M f1.4,if you get your hands on one.But also the M f1.7 is also a cheaper alternative,which for quality pics are on par with each other.Both give incredible sharpness,contrast and bokeh.Also the build on the M series lenses are solid.
08-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #9

I too just got the Pentax A 50mm f/1.7. I like it. I get pretty good bokeh from it. I just posted some images of flowers in the gallery taken with the Pentax A. You can take a look if you like.

IMO, Sometimes a faster glass may not be necessary.
10-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, it's been a while now.
Selling the takumar 55mm

And the Pentax A 50 1.7 is one of my favorites. It's a really nice lens!
And the Porst, well, I like it a lot, but it is like a stranger among the other lenses.
It has a nice bokeh and is razorsharp, if you manage to focus it. And this isn't allways easy, especially compared to other lenses. It needs more precision.

The s-m-c 50 1.4, still didn't test it. Maybe because in the field, it isn't allways very easy to take off the M42 adapter. Bugs aren't waiting until I've mounted another lens ^^
So maybe I'll abandon the M42 lenses, even if some are beauties!
10-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, it's been a while now.
Selling the takumar 55mm

And the Pentax A 50 1.7 is one of my favorites. It's a really nice lens!
And the Porst, well, I like it a lot, but it is like a stranger among the other lenses.
It has a nice bokeh and is razorsharp, if you manage to focus it. And this isn't allways easy, especially compared to other lenses. It needs more precision.

The s-m-c 50 1.4, still didn't test it. Maybe because in the field, it isn't allways very easy to take off the M42 adapter. Bugs aren't waiting until I've mounted another lens .
WHY ABANDON M42's ????. There is so many used DSLR bodies showin up for sale at very reasonable prices . Simply buy a older Body and make it a dedicated
M42 Camera Call it a Spottie-D. I have an istDL that I leave the adaptor in all the time. jim
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The s-m-c 50 1.4, still didn't test it. Maybe because in the field, it isn't allways very easy to take off the M42 adapter. Bugs aren't waiting until I've mounted another lens ^^
Don't do that! Why not modify an adapter so it stays permanently on your Tak 55? Then you can forget it isn't just another great K-mount lens.

Bugs? How are you shooting bugs with these?
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Don't do that! Why not modify an adapter so it stays permanently on your Tak 55? Then you can forget it isn't just another great K-mount lens.

Bugs? How are you shooting bugs with these?
If only it were simple to do this
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
WHY ABANDON M42's ????. There is so many used DSLR bodies showin up for sale at very reasonable prices . Simply buy a older Body and make it a dedicated
M42 Camera Call it a Spottie-D. I have an istDL that I leave the adaptor in all the time. jim
This is what I do. I have an equal amount of M42s & P/K mounts. Consequently, I have two identical *ist DS bodies, one with a permanently mounted Pentax adapter used as a dedicated M42 shooter. *ist DS bodies can be currently had in mint condition for about $200.
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If only it were simple to do this
But it is simple. I did it once but can't remember. Don't you just take out a spring? The only downside is there is not a distinct click for the lens to lock onto the mount. Unless you are in the habit of accidentally unscrewing your lens that should not be a problem!