Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #1

Smudge/mark on lens or mirror

Hallo,

I have this mark/smudge that turns out in most of my pictures, here is a link to an example.

Could you tell me how to clean my lens or mirror to get it off? I don't know what else it would be.

08-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

That's dust on the sensor. Just search "sensor dust", and you'll find a lot of discussion on that matter. Usually, a Giottos Rocket blower will suffice for the task.
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one at top right looks like a hair on your lens and the small dot middle-left is just a speck of dust. Have a good look at your lens, both ends, and give it a good blow with a rocket and/or a gentle wipe with a lens brush, then a lens cloth. If you have a UV filter, it may be on there, or trapped between the filter and the lens. Blow the mirror while you're at it, but that won't show up on your photo. If it's still there after you've thoroughly examined and cleaned the lens, then it will probably be dust on the sensor. (Check by trying another lens, point it at the sky or a wall and see if the same marks show up in the same place). You can clean that yourself with a special kit. Whether it's the lens or the sensor, go very gently indeed and don't put anything other than proper camera cleaning gear anywhere near them.
You might want to get into the habit of spending five minutes cleaning everything whenever you get home from a shoot. That way you're ready to go if you see something you want to shoot in a hurry.
08-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
I got it, thanks guys, I was like a small piece of mulch or something.

08-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthernGuardian Quote
I got it, thanks guys, I was like a small piece of mulch or something.
Cameras are for taking pictures, not gardening.

Welcome to the forum.
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Noticed I had the same this week; thought I had dislodged it but it appeared in some pics today. Guess a little cleaning is in order!
08-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

Welcome to the forum.
If you take the lens of, the shutter/mirror box makes a great cereal bowl. Then, when you are done, you can splash the milk with the mirror by using the shutter button. FUN!

As for gardening, I think the mirror box is a great mulch cup. It's kinda like a wheel barrow but smaller--like a cup. 8)

09-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

Damn Brit wrote: Cameras are for taking pictures, not gardening.

Then why do we "crop" our shots?
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Damn Brit wrote: Cameras are for taking pictures, not gardening.

Then why do we "crop" our shots?
Speak for yourself.
09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthernGuardian Quote
Hallo,

I have this mark/smudge that turns out in most of my pictures, here is a link to an example.

Could you tell me how to clean my lens or mirror to get it off? I don't know what else it would be.
How many shutter activations does your camera body have? About 12-15,000? The top right of the picture is an example of the sensor entering puberty.
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

Welcome to the forum.
Ha!!!!!