Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Recommended k20d settings?

I'm not sure if this has been covered but... the k20d allows you to adjust the Custom image settings Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, and Monochrome.
Question one-Which of these six do you usually leave set on a daily basis?
Question two-How have you adjusted/changed your settings? (if you have) Increased contrast? Sharpness?

Any help is appreciated, I don't want to change settings for the sake of changing them but if a small adjustment would help I'll do it.

Thanks in advance

08-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Damn Brit

One persons settings may not be the preference for another person.
Play around with them yourself to see which you prefer. There may be times when you want to change the settings from shot to shot so it's worth familiarising yourself with them.
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have mine set at Bright, +2 contrast and +2 sharpness, but as stated before, it's a preference thing.

I have a side question though. I shoot in raw all the time. Do these image settings affect the raw image, or just the .jpg thumbnail for previews? I've noticed that the color and sharpness look noticeably different on my K200D than they do when I view the raw image in GIMP.
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

No image settings should affect RAW captures.
All the adjustments happen using software, and is more versatile when done so.

08-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I had the k20 my favorite was BRIGHT mode with +1 contrast and +2 sharpness
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I do generally about what Netuser does, though I'm frequently in Monochrome for my Jpegs and hit the RAW button to bypass those settings if I think I might want to do post later.

The out-of the box sharpness settings are a little softer than most makers' defaults, to make em more post-friendly, so that's probably a pretty common choice.
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm staying in Natural, Sharpness +1. I find Bright not suitable for my taste.
09-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I have settled on bright. I find the contrast too high so I have that down to minus 2.It might affect the saturation so you have to play with that too. Best of luck. Life under Henry Ford was so simple...you can have any colour so long as it"s black.