Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

Shots with the Hoya Close up set

Hey everyone I'm new here and I noticed that no one ever mentions the Hoya close up set. I went to purchase a reverse adapter for my 50mm 1.4 but the salesman told me to purchase these instead. While it will never replace a macro lens I'm pretty happy with the results considering they were on $40. I've haven't tried posting pics so I hope this works.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

08-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum. Did the salesman tell you why to get the close up set instead of the reversing ring? While the Hoya set will be easier to use than the revering adapter, you do lose image quality due to an extra layer of glass and at that price it won't be the best quality. Most people here would tell you to spend a bit more and get the Raynox, they are in a different league to the Hoya.

A reversing ring is much harder to use because you have to focus by moving the camera but you get greater magnification.

These examples of yours are pretty good by the way.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-31-2009 at 11:18 PM.
09-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Welcome...like Gary says...the Raynox DCR-150 is an easy one to use and it fits most lenses by clipping on. Heaps on Ebay at the moment..........those pics are pretty good for what you are using.
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the Raynox closeup lenses are excellent, and don't cost any more than the Hoya set (well, maybe $45 instead of $40?). But actually, those are about the best pictures from single-element closeup lenses I've seen. Usually they are pretty terrible. I'm surprised to not be seeing major CA / haloing destorying the detail on the bee, for example.

09-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
And a great way to introduce yourself here.
Stunning closeup photos there - brilliant details from this basic setup.
You've got some refined skills in taking these macro shots.
Well done.
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
I was just looking through my previous posts and I never realized that this one actually went online. Thanks for everyones responses from several months ago. I ended up getting a sigma 50mm macro but now I think I will move on to a 90mm or 100mm macro.