Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've used the jinfinance ones in my *istD and K20D for some time. For a MF lens user, I find such a thing to be essential, and I believe his are cut-down from old (film) K1000 screens, so the quality is there (they're glass, from memory).

I'm thinking about one for the K-5 now - at the price it's a bit of a no-brainer, although the thought of an Optibright Katzeye is appealing, in spite of the price difference, as the viewfinder is a bit dim with some of my longer telephotos.

I've not found that blackout is a significant issue with most lenses, and only a minor one with the 400/5.6 or 400/600 mirror (you learn to reposition your eye fairly quickly to negate it).

Rob

01-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried this one?

Dual 45° Split Image Focus Focusing Screen Pentax K-7 on eBay (end time 29-Jan-11 18:46:32 GMT)

Not sure I want a 45 degree dual split image - my ME Super had a single horizontal one and I used to rotate the camera to use it on a horizontal line.
01-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I ended up purchasing the shims from Pentax and calibrating my screen. It took two shims, but I don't remember the sizes, spot on afterwards. The shims were I think $3 each.
01-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #34

How come that jinifinance seller is not on ebay.co.uk? The Americans complain about their trade deficit, but when one wants to help them, the only choice is China.
For my GX-20 I bought a screen from LinkDelight :

Dual 45° Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax K10D O5N2 on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 17:20:09 GMT)

It is good. I don't have much to compare with, but i'm happy.
It does black out somewhat when shooting in really dim conditions.

01-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Not sure what to go with, so many different people sell them, usually to much money or to little which scares me away a bit. Blackout is not something I want in my camera...I might just go with one of those magnifying eye pieces....
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just looked to see if any were available for K2000, and wow only $15 delivered. I think the prices came down.
01-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by misiu_mp Quote
How come that jinifinance seller is not on ebay.co.uk? The Americans complain about their trade deficit, but when one wants to help them, the only choice is China.
For my GX-20 I bought a screen from LinkDelight :

Dual 45° Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax K10D O5N2 on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 17:20:09 GMT)

It is good. I don't have much to compare with, but i'm happy.
It does black out somewhat when shooting in really dim conditions.
This is what I put in my *istD

I do not notice any issue until at least F5.6 with respect to blacking out.

It is all a question of how you allign your eye to th esplit image.

I use it with a lot of MF and M42 lenses, but all mine are F2.8 or faster except for a couple of 200F3.5 lenses. so except for when I stop down, I always have a bright viewfinder.

01-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
There are two really teeny tiny pieces of film covering both sides of the focus screen that you have to take off before installing the screen... Did you by any chance leave them there? They're quite hard to notice unless you know they're there.
Just got my after everyones review here. Received after about a week, the only this is I tried to take the films off and scratched the hell out of the focusing screen. I don't think there was any on there is the first place. Wish there would have been some kinda of instructions or something. Now I have a screen that I can't even use.
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cregar Quote
Just got my after everyones review here. Received after about a week, the only this is I tried to take the films off and scratched the hell out of the focusing screen. I don't think there was any on there is the first place. Wish there would have been some kinda of instructions or something. Now I have a screen that I can't even use.
Ouch! that's bad to hear.
What size magnifying glass were you using to inspect your new screen to confirm the existence of those supposed bits of attached film?

.R.
01-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
No magnifying glass :-(

Was just going off what I read in a few forum posts. Oh well, lesson learned.

BTW... for any new buyers, looks like RJ doesn't use the plastic film anymore. Just puts them in a plastic bag then in a hard plastic case.

FYI Been in contact with Jinfinance (RJ) and we are working something out... he has been awesome eBay seller.
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #41
Forum Member

I have no experience with the Jinfinance screen but I do have experience with split screens and must say that once you start with a split screen, you can never go back! I have misfired extremely rarely since starting with a camera with a split screen. It really takes the worry out of focusing
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #42
Inactive Account

I have used older cameras before and have never noticed "Blackout" honestly, I use a Minolta srT201, what happens exactly and is it painful?

I also use mostly manual lenses....So it is troublesome at times even though the K20D has a decent viewfinder.
01-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
I have used older cameras before and have never noticed "Blackout" honestly, I use a Minolta srT201, what happens exactly and is it painful?

I also use mostly manual lenses....So it is troublesome at times even though the K20D has a decent viewfinder.
Rough guess I'd say that one good reason why you wouldn't have been so noticably affected on older cameras is because SLRs (those film era tools) usually have had decent sized, clearer VFs, compared to the pissy little squint-city ones on most DSLRs. (blackout is a type of visual light-loss issue, that occurs at decreased-size apertures).
Otoh; you couldn't miss observing that all (mostly same) mfgrs now do not fit digital SLRs with split prism by default, and there are many sound reasons why. Crazy as it might seem.

You aren't alone in pondering this conundrum Btw, it's an interesting subject esp. for many of us, remembering the old, and moving to the new tech.
I found the following website informative, some useful material in its FAQs/Tips etc. -- worth a read to help be awake to the tradeoffs before committing to split prism:

Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

Fwiw: My big wish is for DSLR makers to make changing focus-screens on all models a quick and simple task for the user/owner, then we could safely play and customise to our need, which is often temporary too.
Sadly, only the more expensive and sophisticated models offer that which to me sort of limits the whole "interchangeable" aspects of owning DSLR.

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-21-2011 at 02:23 AM.
01-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Rough guess I'd say that one good reason why you wouldn't have been so noticably affected on older cameras is because SLRs (those film era tools) usually have had decent sized, clearer VFs, compared to the pissy little squint-city ones on most DSLRs. (blackout is a type of visual light-loss issue, that occurs at decreased-size apertures).
Otoh; you couldn't miss observing that all (mostly same) mfgrs now do not fit digital SLRs with split prism by default, and there are many sound reasons why. Crazy as it might seem.

You aren't alone in pondering this conundrum Btw, it's an interesting subject esp. for many of us, remembering the old, and moving to the new tech.
I found the following website informative, some useful material in its FAQs/Tips etc. -- worth a read to help be awake to the tradeoffs before committing to split prism:

Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

Fwiw: My big wish is for DSLR makers to make changing focus-screens on all models a quick and simple task for the user/owner, then we could safely play and customise to our need, which is often temporary too.
Sadly, only the more expensive and sophisticated models offer that which to me sort of limits the whole "interchangeable" aspects of owning DSLR.

HTH.

.R.
So what I have gathered(correct me if I am wrong) is that on the Digital Slr cameras at lets say Aperture 8, I will see nothing in my viewfinder? That sounds extreme even if I use fast lenses, since I would use those fast lenses at Aperture 8+ if it is light out disregarding the fact that they are fast.

I may be missing something here.I only use Faster lenses in the dark usually(Anything Aperture 3 and up stays at home for night shooting) Are slower ones like 8+ for example fine in daylight?
01-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
So what I have gathered(correct me if I am wrong) is that on the Digital Slr cameras at lets say Aperture 8, I will see nothing in my viewfinder? That sounds extreme even if I use fast lenses, since I would use those fast lenses at Aperture 8+ if it is light out disregarding the fact that they are fast.

I may be missing something here.I only use Faster lenses in the dark usually(Anything Aperture 3 and up stays at home for night shooting) Are slower ones like 8+ for example fine in daylight?
No only the central prism, or part thereof, blacks out. (which is basically the bit you're relying on really!)

I think you probably missed reading this page here...
Katz Eye Plus - KatzEye Optics
...which describes that situation and what happens (visually) fairly well.

Caveat: I'm not being a shill for Katzeye product here, just imposing on their more detailed info (which most sellers either don't mention, or evade addressing when challenged for actual detail).

Sorry I honestly can't relate from experience regarding exactly what happens in day or night light etc., because I'm still waiting delivery of an eBay prism screen myself. Decided to tread the water with a [very] cheap one first, and maybe buy better later if it shows its potential for whatever similar photo situation's usage much like you describe. Yeah I drool for visually accurate pinpoint-sharp confirmation too, esp. for Macro obsession where MF is desirable (and often necessary).

I suspect, and am hoping, but again can't affirm yet, sorry; that there's possibly less of a blackout issue (reasonable ambient light permitting) in practice in many common circumstances due to the fact that we physically perform the M.focus visually through the VF at max aperture anyway. Provided using normal modern AF/aperture controlled type lenses, or, aperture-ring equipped ones with (and on) an "A" setting. Pre-stopped down manual lenses excepted of course.

After reading much from other users of SP VF screens here and elsewhere, I reluctantly concluded that it has a lot of "individual thing" dependence to it. Everyone's circumstances and needs are different and I just had have to try for myself. Is due for delivery soon and I can't wait.
If only it were easier than that.

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-21-2011 at 11:50 AM.