Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #76

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks for the info. So he imports the Travor screens, huh?

The Texas vendor still hasn't shipped mine. I might as well have ordered from a vendor in Asia (i.e. jinfinance) and wait the 20+ days; it would have been delivered already. Would love to cancel and order from jinfinance, but the Texas vendor said it my item should come in "any day now". I'm at the point of no return

The K-x really should have a focusing screen built-in.

02-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have no fear, he probably was out of stock. He probably had to import more from China. But I'm sure you'll get it. If not I bet he'd send another. So far he strikes me as a good seller.

If it arrives later than you expected you can request a 50% refund. I bet he'll give it to you.

But who knows ? He may be a diabolical madman hell-bent on destroying the world !!! We'll see if he gives us Pentaxians the respect we deserve

As for your K-X, remember to install it upside down compared to these instructions :

PENTAX K100D / K200D / K2000D / K-m / K-x / K-r Focusing Screen Installation Instruction

I was enjoying mine today in the daylight. Taking family snapshots and manually focusing just for joy - even thought I was using an AF capable lens LOL

I am really fond of the old manual focus film cameras but I am at odds with the price and quality of my local film developing, so this is a good substitute

Have fun!
Craig
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I'm looking at this this screen from jinfinance but does anyone know if it comes with the installation kit?
04-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think they all come with an install kit, but you can verify with the seller. If the seller says 'yes' and doesn't actually send you one, you can call eBay and they will see his message and take steps.

Buyers are well protected on eBay. So have no fear!

04-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I'm looking at this this screen from jinfinance but does anyone know if it comes with the installation kit?
No, Jinfinance will not include the installation kit. You have to order it as the second item.

Believe me, I bought two screens before.
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oops, I thought mine came with one.

Make sure to always ask the seller
04-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #82
Veteran Member

I sent an email three days ago but no answer...any other reputable seller you can recommend?

04-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
No. ANd reading the auction, it is clear that it does not

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
I think they all come with an install kit, but you can verify with the seller. If the seller says 'yes' and doesn't actually send you one, you can call eBay and they will see his message and take steps.

Buyers are well protected on eBay. So have no fear!
No they do not.
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
No, Jinfinance will not include the installation kit. You have to order it as the second item.

Believe me, I bought two screens before.
Same here, and no kit, but it is really not needed.

I used a pair of tweezers and a dental pick (to release the frame of the screen.

I have both a single split and dual split (parallel splits about .05mm apart) both work well, and take 5 minutes to install.

only thing to consider here is
1) pay attention to the orientation of both the origonal and nes screens to make sure they go in right side up.
2) dont rush,
3) dont rush,
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, I got my screens confused. Some come with an install kit.
04-09-2011, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my focusing screen today for my K-x and I'm very happy with it. My Tammy 90mm Macro was close to impossible for me to manually focus with, but it has become much much easier now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find that I'm able to place to focus point much better than with center spot auto focus, and therefor.. that's is just awesome!
04-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Groovy The K-X is fun

You can try "catch in focus" too

Here is how you do it :

1. enable catch in focus in the menu
2. switch the focus slider to "AF" (on the camera)
3. compose
4. hold the shutter button
5. focus
6. when the camera decides you are in focus it will automatically take the shot
optional. to quickly deactivate, slide the focus switch to "MF"

It's funky

At very large apertures, my focus screen is not precise but very close. I can focus with the focus screen to get close, then seal the deal with "catch in focus"

Try it out it's funky

Cheers,
Craig
04-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #87

The Trevor screen was manufactured with the tab on the opposite side than the Pentax K-x screen. Don't think of it as upside down.

No matter the tab location, the matte side of the screen always faces the penta-prism/mirror. This is the focus surface.

The Fresnel always faces the lens. The Fresnel concentrates the light from the lens on the matte surface making the image brighter.

The shims go between the screen and the penta-prism. This is how the factory calibrates the focus screen to the auto focus system. If the factory correctly calibrated the original screen, there should be no need for additional shims. This can probably be fine tuned. The matte side will always be in the same plane against the shims, no matter how thick the focus screen.

The eyepeice diopter should be adjusted to give the best definition of the focus screen. Point the camera at clear sky or unfocused on a blank wall. Slide the diopter to give you the best view of the scratches from installing your new screen. This is most likely the matte side. This is also the same way you focus the crosshairs on a rifle scope.

My Travor double diagonal screen came with stains/glue residue from the protective tape. It was not removeable with careful scrubbing with dish soap and an artist brush.

The Travor screen split prism is about 138 pixels high of center. About 5%

Still the screen is 287% better than the OEM screen.

owner of 2 auto focus lenses AND
35 manual lenses(at last count)
04-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info