Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
pbo
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
hello freeload. I tried what you described, but unfortunately it doesnt helped me. I am not wearing glasses. I moved slider completely to - value(right side) and still circles are not in line. When I align them, I have backfocus issue(tested on Yvon´s Bourque AF adjustment chart).

Any ideas?I am going to write Pentax importer in Slovakia if shims are available to purchase. everybody I know and has DSLR is canikon, so no help available...
There are two really teeny tiny pieces of film covering both sides of the focus screen that you have to take off before installing the screen... Did you by any chance leave them there? They're quite hard to notice unless you know they're there.
But, if it's not the issue and you do need shims for correct focus, I would guess shims for different APS-C cameras are somewhat same? At least, if they're that much more available, why not try?

By the way, I just got my jinfinance double-split! Amazingly, it got here in just a bit more than a week!! It works perfectly, too - no shims required for K10D. Make quality is so-so, though.

09-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
There are two really teeny tiny pieces of film covering both sides of the focus screen that you have to take off before installing the screen... Did you by any chance leave them there? They're quite hard to notice unless you know they're there.
But, if it's not the issue and you do need shims for correct focus, I would guess shims for different APS-C cameras are somewhat same? At least, if they're that much more available, why not try?

By the way, I just got my jinfinance double-split! Amazingly, it got here in just a bit more than a week!! It works perfectly, too - no shims required for K10D. Make quality is so-so, though.

Hello Pbo. For sure I removed foils from both sides of screen...That was actually first thing I did when it arrived...I will wait for importers statement during next week. until then I placed LL-80 back to my K20.
Good to hear, that you have had luck with yours..Michal
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Forum Member

HI
I just got a jinfinance diagonal split screen and did the first tests, with my M 50mm 1.7 it seems to work fine, but with the 18-55mm (kit lens) now I have back focus (I think it's back focus... it focus closer than I want).
Does anyone noticed the same problem?
Also the screen have some dust particles, I used the rocket blower but they still there, how should I clean it?
Thank you for advice.
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
HI
I just got a jinfinance diagonal split screen and did the first tests, with my M 50mm 1.7 it seems to work fine, but with the 18-55mm (kit lens) now I have back focus (I think it's back focus... it focus closer than I want).
Does anyone noticed the same problem?
Also the screen have some dust particles, I used the rocket blower but they still there, how should I clean it?
Thank you for advice.
If you didn't touch anything you weren't supposed to, it shouldn't effect autofocus (except how it appears in the viewfinder).

09-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If you didn't touch anything you weren't supposed to, it shouldn't effect autofocus (except how it appears in the viewfinder).
I did some shots last night just, a ruler and some other objects in my desk, maybe the incandescent light wasn't so apropriate... This morning I test it again with the DA 18-55mm, M50 1.7 and a manual Vivitar CF 28mm 2.8 (all the lenses I got) it seems to work fine, manual focus is very easy now, and autofocus still works fine to.
I can give my oppinion now on this jinfinace screen, I say it's not perfect, but it's good (especialy for the price). It's a bit darker than the original Pentax screen, but the center of the screen, that's what you use to focus anyway, it's good.
The only complain that I have is that mine has some sort of "stains" and two dust specs, it's not that bad but still noticeable. I don't want to mess up and touch it much, but does anyone know the best method to try to clean the focusing screen?
Thank You.
09-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Don't clean with anything other than air. Otherwise you will be putting the old one back in.
09-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
I did some shots last night just, a ruler and some other objects in my desk, maybe the incandescent light wasn't so apropriate... This morning I test it again with the DA 18-55mm, M50 1.7 and a manual Vivitar CF 28mm 2.8 (all the lenses I got) it seems to work fine, manual focus is very easy now, and autofocus still works fine to.
I can give my oppinion now on this jinfinace screen, I say it's not perfect, but it's good (especialy for the price). It's a bit darker than the original Pentax screen, but the center of the screen, that's what you use to focus anyway, it's good.
The only complain that I have is that mine has some sort of "stains" and two dust specs, it's not that bad but still noticeable. I don't want to mess up and touch it much, but does anyone know the best method to try to clean the focusing screen?
Thank You.
All Pentax cameras (not sure about other manufacturers) except the K-7 will slightly front(back?) focus in incandescent light due to wavelength differences.

01-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
Inactive Account

How well are these when compared to the Katzeye or focusingscreen.com? Should I worry about Blackout?
01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #24

yeah, I want to know how it compares too. Seems to be quite a bit of price difference ... does anyone know how these things actually works?

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
All Pentax cameras (not sure about other manufacturers) except the K-7 will slightly front(back?) focus in incandescent light due to wavelength differences.
Because of all the posted k-5 AF problems, I actually did an AF test with my K100D in incandescent light, and it focuses fine.

Edit: after posting this and thought it was kinda odd, I found that my camera back focuses a little bit in natural light o.O

Last edited by mrbrightside; 01-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.
01-05-2011, 03:26 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a single split in my K10D which worked perfectly - no shimming, and a dual split in my *istD, which also worked perfectly - no shimming required.

Both are quite accurate, but I find the dual split easier to use.

Note that the split image finder does interfere with spot metering, so there is not much point using anything other than matrix/center weighted.

Compared to a KatzEye, I had some discussion with rachel Katz who said a diagonal split is not as accurate as a horizontal split image ( i think it has to do with accuracy needing to intersect at a right angle) but that has not bothered me. I use the microprism collar also as a function of what I am focusing on.

In the K10DF or *istD they are acceptably bright due to the penta prism.

Overall I am pleased, and have spent less than half the price of a single Katz eye to outfit 2 cameras
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrightside Quote
yeah, I want to know how it compares too. Seems to be quite a bit of price difference ... does anyone know how these things actually works?
I thought the KatzEye price was high too. Especially when you see it; a tiny bit of fragile plastic. How could it be worth 15% of the cost of the whole camera? My wife got it for me as a present, just to shut me up.

I can't say that the KatzEye is definitely worth its extra cost, because I haven't tried any other screens. But that $100 was definitely a great investment for me.

You look through the viewfinder (nearly) all the time. If it doesn't work well, your photos will suffer.

The screen makes using any manual focus lens easy, from my paper-thin DOF Cosina 55mm f1.2 to the huge DOF of my Sigma 16mm f2.8 fisheye. I use it with my Tamron Adaptall-2 500mm f8 mirror lens and a 2X teleconverter, which means focusing at f16.

Just look at the cost difference of one manual-focus lens compared to its AF version. The cost of the screen disappears if you can use an MF macro lens instead of AF.

QuoteQuote:
Because of all the posted k-5 AF problems, I actually did an AF test with my K100D in incandescent light, and it focuses fine.

Edit: after posting this and thought it was kinda odd, I found that my camera back focuses a little bit in natural light o.O
A good split-prism screen has saved me from thousands of hours of AF testing.
01-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I installed the Travore double split in my K200d and it didn't need a shim. However, the tab was on the opposite side from the stock screen so I had to reinstall it because I put it in upside down the first time. It helped mf a lot on that body. However, I can manual focus the *istD with the O-ME53 magnifier 3x better than I can the K200d with the double split. I have the Pentax cross reticle in my K20d because of using it extensively for macro and find it pretty good for that aspect.
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Do they make it for the K100d
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Seems that way: Dual 45 Split Image Focus Screen Pentax K100D K200D DL bei eBay.de: Digital Camera Accessories (endet 19.01.11 12:34:16 MEZ)
01-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Since the big bang there have been countless types evolve from various etailers on planet eBay. I think they breed...

Focus screen for Pentax K100D items - Get great deals on Camera Accessories, Lenses Filters items on eBay.com!

focusingScreen.com and katzeyeoptics.com also cultivate the monsters in various flavours -- best cooked and served up with your favourite side salad and washed down with a stiff shot of battery acid of suitable vintage. Be careful if driving afterwards.

.R.