Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The modern focusing screen as found in the K20D is VERY inacurate for manual focusing with a large aperture lens.
Right, it shows way too much DOF. Meaning there will be things that look in focus in the viewfinder but turn out not to be in the picture.

However, I find it's possible to improve one's focusing ability even despite this, through diligent practice. Learn to 'see" the whole zone of acceptable focus, rather than looking jkust at one object you want to be in focus, and then learn to place the object you care about appropriately within the zone. for my camera, I find it's the *rear* of the zone that turns out not to be in focus in the actual picture, so I make sure my subject is toward the front of the zone while focusing. While turning the focus ring, I visualize the zone moving forward and backward, and stop when it's sitting right on and *behind* my subject. The eye naturally wants to place the zone right on and *in front of* the subject, as you instinctively expect closer things to look clearer (plus the subject is often blocking what's behind). Once you come to grips with all this, you can get pretty good and fast at it.