Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Out of control K200D.

ďManual lens problemĒ
Iíll try to explain this as best as possible.
My K200D settings have changed without warning and the anti shake sign shows itís off every time I put a manual lens on. I reset all options and it fixed this problem at least for now. Has this happened to anyone else?
Also, I use to see my F Stop reading beside my shutter speed and now only see my shutter speed readings that seems to change automatically in the viewfinder when pointing the camera at places around the room. I use to be able to set the f-stop by the e-dial and this changed the speed but not anymore. It almost seems that the camera is in full auto and is stuck on Tv mode. I always shoot in Av mode but have lost control with manual lenses.
Any hints?

09-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it is a manual lens then it probably needs to have the aperture set at the aperture ring. My 50 f/1.7 for instance, doesn't have any electronics in it so there is no way for the camera to communicate with the lens to control the aperture. The camera can only control shutter speed because the shutter is in the camera.

When shooting with manual lenses put the focus on manual and the setting on full manual. You control the shutterspeed with the dial and the aperture at the ring.
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand but let me add to the problem and that's everything comes out dark I have to add plus 1-2 at f2.8 and this is taking a picture of a 60 watt light in a lamp shade and my speed is reading 4000.
I know before I was able to use the d-dial to help with my set up as well as the aperture ring.
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hmmm...

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Either way this sounds like a unique issue.

Sounds like either gremlins snuck into your house and started messing with the settings while you were sleeping or your camera might be on the fritz. Which manual lens are you having the problems with? What series is it?

I've never had my settings randomly switch in mine K200d.

09-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is this an "A" lens or an "M" lens?

If it is an "M" 'lens, you can't be in anything but Manual mode and have to use the green button to set the exposure? Make sure you have the "green button in manual" option set to 1.
09-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
lens cctv

Sorry, I'm having such a hard time explaining myself. Most of this is probably due to taking for granted how I worked with my camera and now a sudden change. I use the aperture ring to change the speed setting in the camera. If I was shooting at lets say f2.8 at 125 I would get a good pic. Now however it looks like Iím shooting everything 2-3 stops under. Everything is very dark. I reset all my options like I had them. What makes me a little confused when I had the camera out today the anti-shake was on but the camera said it was off. I am just recharging my batteries to see if this could be the problem but the camera says they are fine. I am on holidays so I left my good but rather large charger at home and Iím using my old back up batteries ďgood ones already used upĒ. Itís been dry out but the nights are getting down to 10-15 so I have also wondered about dew. Iíll make a trip into town and buy some good lithiumís in the morning.
Gremlins seem to follow me around I just had the SUV in the Garage for 3 weeks, they found a little split in one wire in the wiring harness.
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you are talking about a "A" lens, not a fully manual one, and you've accidentally moved the aperture ring off the "A" position. If it's truly a fully manual lens, you never would have been able to control the aperture with the dial. You also mention trying to take a picture of a light bulb. That was unlikely to have ever worked, either - the camera would always grossly underexpose that.

I guess I'd say, post a picture that demonstrates the problem you are see, and tell us what exposure mode you were in, what aperture you had set using the aperture ring, what the ISO and shutter speed were, maybe what metering mode you were using.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Q&A

@OP, please try and post in the correct forums. If you're not sure, please post in Everything Else and a moderator will move it if necessary.

09-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
ďApologiesĒ

ďApologiesĒ
I have found 90% of the problem and it is a frustrating end to this thread.

Lesson learned.
1-Gremlins do have names; they seem to have the same names as your bored friends.
2-Practical jokes are only funny when not involving camera gear.
3-Old batteries can be totally unpredictable and should not be used even as emergency back up.
Just one thing still puzzles me the anti-shake feature. I will count this problem in part due to old batteries. I donít have the same problem with the new batteries or my newer rechargeable ones that I topped up last night. My camera still has warranty so Iíll be keeping an eye on this one.
09-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From now on, always buy the best quality AA rechargeables for the camera you can get - you will thank yourself for it in the long term.
09-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Use only lithiums...more voltage...more power. Get em cheap on Ebay...