Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

AF won't work on k200D with kit lens.

I've been using a SMC Pentax-M 135mm F3.5 for a few days. Today i put on my original SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II. The AF doesn't work, I can hear it working but the lens isn't moving. I reset the camera, still nothing. And the manual is no help. Any ideas?

Thanks, Daniel

09-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since it's making noise, I assume you have the swtich in the AF position. Try removing the lens and placing it back on - maybe it isn't quite mounted right.
09-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've tried putting the lens on a few times. But the troubles remain. I should say this is my first dslr.
09-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've been fiddling with the camera a bit, now the AF works but very slowly. I took some photos of my kid and the edges were dark but sharp and bright in the middle. Maybe the aperture ring isn't opening properly. And last night it was probably to dark to get AF to work.

09-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Does it work when you focus manually? Is the movement easy & smooth? To check that the aperture level is working you can remove the lens & gently push the lever that extrudes into the camera body when attached. If it's making noise but not focusing it suggests to me that the motor is running but that it is not properly connected to the lens, check that the little screw-drive on the lens mount is sticking out a bit when the camera is set to AF mode.

Let us know the results of the above. Hope it helps.
09-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
After putting the lens on and of a few times and then leaving it on until after lunch. It now works properly. I suspect some kind of connection issues. And yes, the lens moved smoothly and I could focus manually. But it's kinda' slow in bad lighting. How much should the aperture ring open when it's wide open mine is abut 1,5 cm. Om the M-135 it's the whole lens width. I think M-lens is a bit sharper and gives better colours.

Last edited by mdlarsson; 09-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.
09-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdlarsson Quote
But it's kinda' slow in bad lighting.
What settings are you using - aperture, shutter, ISO?
09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
What settings are you using - aperture, shutter, ISO?
Auto, usually. I only set aperture on my M lenses or use Av. Remember I'm new at this.

10-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I ran into this same issue earlier today. Switched from "AUTO PICT" to "M" and back, but didn't help. Turned the camera off, removed the lens, reattached, made sure I was in AF mode and turned back on. Still won't focus, but it's making noise. Turned off again, removed lens, reattached, tried looking through settings (but couldn't find anything abnormal)...still not moving the lens (but making noise).

Tried those last steps once more, and it finally started working again. The lens I had switched from was a Takumar-A Zoom lens (1:3.5~4.5; 28~80mm), so it doesn't seem like an issue isolated to the particular lens mdlarsson used.

Any ideas? I'm reluctant to use anything other than my kit lens after experiencing this.
10-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd assume it was fluke. You shouldn't have to be afriad of changing If it were me, I'd try it again, and if it fails reliably, I'd send the camera back for service, becuase soemthing is clearly wrong. But again, I'm guesisng it was just a fluke; something happened to go tweaked a little funny that one time.
10-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
tried it again, this time with some lenses that were "M" instead of "A" like I did originally. no issue, guess it was just a fluke the first time.

mdlarsson, have you experienced this same issue any more since your first post?

thanks for the reassurance, marc. I appreciate it!