Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

PhotoME shutter count 230 on 'new' K-7

I don't understand why on a K-7 body sold as new, even though the first pictures are numbered IMGP0001.DNG, etc., PhotoME shows the shutter count, right out of the box, at 230.

Before I make a stink about this with the vendor (a reputable online vendor probably well known to most of you) is there a good explanation consistent with the camera being actually new and not returned?

09-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Forum Member

All camera's are pre tested at the factory to make sure things work. 230 is a normal amount of actuations. Not the retailers fault or the manufacturer.
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Isn't 230 actually on the low side? I heard that up to 600 is pretty normal.
09-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Markah1 Quote
I don't understand why on a K-7 body sold as new, even though the first pictures are numbered IMGP0001.DNG, etc., PhotoME shows the shutter count, right out of the box, at 230.

Before I make a stink about this with the vendor (a reputable online vendor probably well known to most of you) is there a good explanation consistent with the camera being actually new and not returned?
My first post here was to ask why the shutter count on my brand new K10D was 276. Seems something around 300 is normal testing. Also asked the online retailer. through several emails the Pentax rep for the retailer contacted me and explained.

Similar to a computer burn-in (if something is wrong with a computer it is most likely to be revealed in the first two or three minutes), if something is wrong with a camera it is most likely to be revealed in the first few hundred shutter clicks.

That concept was affirmed by experienced members here.

09-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Most come with a couple of hundred +/ - from the factory

There are numerous threads stating this and seems like a new one every week.

Jason
09-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Similar to a computer burn-in (if something is wrong with a computer it is most likely to be revealed in the first two or three minutes), if something is wrong with a camera it is most likely to be revealed in the first few hundred shutter clicks.
Thanks, that makes sense. That is why I never get an extended warranty for a computer
09-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I picked up a "Used" K20D the other day and when I got home and checked the shutter count it was 240 according to Photome. I about fell over since I was expecting much more. Paid 525.00 body only. I only went in the camera store to get a 49mm cpl, walked out with the K20d and a Camo camera backpack. Forgot to get the cpl. Go figure.

Charlie
09-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharlieO Quote
I picked up a "Used" K20D the other day and when I got home and checked the shutter count it was 240 according to Photome. I about fell over since I was expecting much more. Paid 525.00 body only. I only went in the camera store to get a 49mm cpl, walked out with the K20d and a Camo camera backpack. Forgot to get the cpl. Go figure.

Charlie
eh, Charlie, does this mean that the number which comes out of PhotoMe can be screwed around with?

09-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
eh, Charlie, does this mean that the number which comes out of PhotoMe can be screwed around with?
You can reset shutter count on your camera; it will also automatically go to IMGP0001 after it rolls over 9999.
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Reset shutter count????

I know that the number in the image name will roll over when you shoot more than 9999 pictures. And I know you can change a setting to have the camera reset the image number every time a new memory card is inserted.

BUT.... I have never heard that the shutter count in the exif data can be reset.

How do you reset the shutter count? And, I don't mean using an exif editor to change the shutter count value for one image. The next image shot would still have the correct (higher) shutter count.
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

Oops, I didn't mean totally reset shutter count, just naming of the images.
09-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
paugie, sorry, I have been away from my computer and did not catch that you replied to my post. I agree with the other replies, the shutter count cannot be reset, only the file numbers. I just happen to stumble into the deal I made. When I looked at the used K20D at the camera store it appeared to be in brand new condition. I was pleasently surprised to see that the shutter count was as low as it was. If it would have been 2000 I would still felt like I got a good deal. I asked the sales person why the owner traded in the camera and he told me that the original owner was an older person who decided that the camera wasn't what he really wanted. He traded for a new digital video recorder.

If you are worried about shutter durability, my K10D's shutter count as of today is 35,520. It has taken me over two years to reach that point. If my K10D died tomorrow I would feel that it was money well spent. Before the advent of digital cameras I would wager that your average advanced photographer like me would take 10 to 15 years to shoot 35,000 photos. (I think that is a conservative estimate at 24 frames a roll.) I hope we have all been helping you and the OP with your questions.
09-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Shutter life expectancy

I have heard the figure of 100,000 actuations bandied about, as a reasonable expectation of shutter life. AFAIK, Pentax has never revealed any design goal and they certainly make no quarantees as to shutter actuations, only years of use.

However, that figure seems reasonable to me. There may be a few professionals or machine=gunning amatures who hit that number, but for most of us, we'll be dead before the shutter is. Or we will have moved on to another camera (hopefully a Pentax).
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Isn't 230 actually on the low side? I heard that up to 600 is pretty normal.
Yup, my brand new K-7 arrived with 600 shots exactly on the clock (my very first shot shows up in PhotoME as the 601st frame... I'm confident it is new, just from how everything was packed in the box, and the fact there wasn't a mark or fingerprint anywhere.)