Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Incorrect bulb mode function?

I just took my new K7 to a night walk.
As it was full moon and a bit foggy night, the plan was to take some "mystic" photos.
But I noticed something weird and as I'm new with DSRL owner, I'd like to share this and maybe receive feedback.

Setting:
Firmware 1.0.1
Remote switch (also did the same using camera's shutter release button)
Bulb mode
Manual focus
DA35 limited lens
Apperture between 4 and 8
ISO 100

On pressing the release button the sound was normal (mirror up and shutter open), but when releasing the button, I could hear a sound like a small motor running inside the camera for about the same amount of time, the shutter had been open. And couple of seconds after this, the image appeared on the screen for review. I made this several times and with different exposure times and the result was always the same.

Is this something that DSRL's do in bulb mode or is my K7 faulty ?

09-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I just took my new K7 to a night walk.
As it was full moon and a bit foggy night, the plan was to take some "mystic" photos.
But I noticed something weird and as I'm new with DSRL owner, I'd like to share this and maybe receive feedback.

Setting:
Firmware 1.0.1
Remote switch (also did the same using camera's shutter release button)
Bulb mode
Manual focus
DA35 limited lens
Apperture between 4 and 8
ISO 100

On pressing the release button the sound was normal (mirror up and shutter open), but when releasing the button, I could hear a sound like a small motor running inside the camera for about the same amount of time, the shutter had been open. And couple of seconds after this, the image appeared on the screen for review. I made this several times and with different exposure times and the result was always the same.

Is this something that DSRL's do in bulb mode or is my K7 faulty ?

It's the cameras noise reduction. It takes a "dark frame" with the shutter closed right after the original exposure. This is meant to eliminate noise from high ISO, long exposure shots.
09-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you switch Long Exposure NR to "Off" , the Dark Frame shot will not kick in for exposures less than 30 seconds in Bulb Mode. For exposures greater than 30 seconds, the Dark Frame Noise Reduction will kick in regardless.
09-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

see this post...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66277-k7-long-exposures.html

09-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got some sound on my 200d when using bulb. Nothing wrong on pictures though.
09-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

But why there can be heared some sound from K-7 when taking Dark Frame? I donīt understand it - it is sound like when SR mechanism works.
But there is no reason for SR to work when taking Dark Frame!
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all for your support.
I'm glad there's nothing "wrong" with my K-7.
I do agree that the delay is ridiculous if you try to take a pic from a starry sky during new moon, the exposure will be several minutes, and if you double the time for this dark frame's sake.
It's just insane...
I will try again and if the image quality is great then it's maybe not so painfull to wait...
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi reytor

I'm afraid this sounds suspiciously like the K-7's infamous enforced +30 sec DFS issue......see below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/667182-post18.html

QuoteQuote:
It's just insane...
I totally agree.....It's quite simply one of the latest model's most "dumb-assed" (read needlessly f***ed-up) features sic if you ask me !

Best regards
Richard

09-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Thanks for all for your support.
I'm glad there's nothing "wrong" with my K-7.
I do agree that the delay is ridiculous if you try to take a pic from a starry sky during new moon, the exposure will be several minutes, and if you double the time for this dark frame's sake.
It's just insane...
I will try again and if the image quality is great then it's maybe not so painfull to wait...
I found the image quality for long exposures Very Good, especially at low ISO. No issues there.
Theres just the little thingy about the Noise Reduction lock