Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hate my K10 D

The camera just can't take a decently exposed picture. No matter what I do, it seems all pictures taken in daylight are underexposed by maybe 2 f/stops. Why????

Am I missing something, is the camera defective.....? Help.

09-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax cameras are well know for underexposing shots to preserve highlight detail. In bright daylight it usually needs anywhere between +0.3 and +1 EV compensation. But 2 f stops off means one of the following:
a) user error (check what metering mode you are using and what surface you are metering from)
b) faulty camera

frankly, I think a) is more likely, it's easy to blame camera...
If you want more help, please post picture, or linke to one, where underexposure as severe as described happened. When people will have a look they may be able to offer more advice.

BR
Peter
09-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, ALWAYS check that the user is not using the tool incorrectly before blaming the camera.
Metering is dependent on so much that the camera itself is probably 1% to blame for under/over-exposure problems.

So for starters, what metering mode are you in?
Do you have AE-L linked with AF point set on your camera?
How are you composing your photos? By locking focus and recomposing, or just pointing and shooting?
What lens are you using? Do you have a filter in front of it?

When these questions are answered then MAYBE we can work out why you're not getting the results you're expecting. As with any computer, results you get are dependent on what it has as input. See how you go.
09-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you post a couple of photographs which will be examples of your photography? Keep the exif data as well.

Jason

09-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As already has been mentioned, Pentax metering system tends to often underxpose about 1 stop in a good lighting conditions. Its not a bug, but rather a feature - it lets you get fine highlight detail, and still leaves you an option of pulling that 1 stop in RAW processing and still getting good shadow detail. Another Pentax well-known feature is its unobtursive approach to noise reduction - the in-camera processor just leaves a lot of noise in without ironing out the fine detail. Advice to you is shoot raw and use exposure compensation which will give you somewhat reliable results.

Hope you get to know your gear better.
09-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, gives us all an update after the suggestions above.
09-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Still shooting better and better photos with my K10D here. Learned just 2 weeks ago after having the camera for 2 years that for outdoor shots, I can overexpose by up to 2 stops without blowing out the highlights. So now I expose to the right for bright/outdoor shots. And then in post-processing, surprisingly, I am bumping up the curve some more to get more exposures.

Here is my sample:

09-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Pentax cameras are well know for underexposing shots to preserve highlight detail. In bright daylight it usually needs anywhere between +0.3 and +1 EV compensation
I've heard this many times, but very rarely ever thought my K10D or GX20 underexpose shots in daylight. I can only think of 2 or 3 examples after 1000's of shots. I'm not complaining as I'm happy with the way they do capture images, I'm just not sure how accurate that statement is?

Huntly2 - as others have already said, if you post some pictures then that would definitely help others help you. There are so many things that can affect exposure from your camera settings through to the subject that will affect your image. You can host your images for free here - Host your images for free: Pixentral.com if you don't already have somewhere available to you. Welcome to the forum
09-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #9

I was in the same boat as you with my k100d at first. I had a hard time getting my exposures correct. Here are a couple of things that helped me.

If you use the lcd to check the photos while shooting the lcd can fool you. If you have it set too bright you can have what looks like a good exposure until you load it on your computer. Make sure you are checking both the lcd and the histogram.

Also if you use the preview mode that has the highlights blink if they are blown out that helps as well.

Hope this helps

Bob
09-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Banned

your K10D obviously hates you as well!

you have gotten some good advice so far, but as stated already, we need to see photos and EXIF data to be able to verify whether its user or camera error.
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

shoot M, make your own art
09-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
shoot M, make your own art
and carry a Sekonic with you always.....
09-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The K10D usually underexposes when using matrix metering, and there is an area much brighter then the rest of the scene. The camera does this to prevent blown highlights. The result is that the image may look darker then you would like. BUT, if you are shooting RAW, it is very easy to up the exposure (adjust curves) in post preocess and recover the shadow detail. But had the highlights been blown, they cannot be recoverd.

Interestingly, Nikon tends to blow highlights, but gets better out of the camera shadow exposure.

Apart from Pentax's Matrix meter system, ALL other exposure problems are user error.

And it is debatable if the way the Matrix meter functions is a problem.
09-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Needing Help Posting Pictures

Not knowing how to do it, I would like some kind person to please give me detailed instructions on how to upload pictures for forum analysis. If I need to make pictures smaller first.........how? Will smaller pictures still have enough info for analysis and critique? Thanks.
09-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by huntly2 Quote
Not knowing how to do it, I would like some kind person to please give me detailed instructions on how to upload pictures for forum analysis. If I need to make pictures smaller first.........how? Will smaller pictures still have enough info for analysis and critique? Thanks.
Have you read this yet? - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-errors-help/314-explanat...-features.html The information you need should be there.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-07-2009 at 03:16 PM.