Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
would you then reccomend hoods for lenses that don't come with them? Ie. 50mm FA 1.4?
Yes, most people opt for the collapsable rubber hood for this lens - easy to find and cheap.

09-07-2009, 04:51 AM   #17

The 50-135 does have an enormous hood... I also try and keep it mounted whenever practical...
I do find a need to remove it when shooting flash reasonably close (otherwise get a strong shadow on the lower side of the image)...

Paul
09-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
The 50-135 does have an enormous hood... I also try and keep it mounted whenever practical...
I do find a need to remove it when shooting flash reasonably close (otherwise get a strong shadow on the lower side of the image)...

Paul
a lot of hoods will cause shadows with a flash, even smaller ones. thats the only time I can recommend not using one. there is no good solution with this lens im afraid. with a smaller prime lens, the hood can be used always and be like it isn't even there, or a part of the lens. for you... well I guess you will have to decide whether or not is worth using in most situations.
09-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use a hood. Keep in mind that even though you may not have visible flare in the image, you can still lose contrast from it.

09-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, most people opt for the collapsable rubber hood for this lens - easy to find and cheap.
Any recommendations for this one?

(reference to FA 50mm f1.4)
09-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How about something like this:
B+W | 49mm Screw-In Folding Rubber Lens Hood #900 | 65069598
Your friendly neighborhood camera shop would generally have something equivalent. If you want a rigid metal hood, I generally recommend heavystar on eBay. He sells a good quality metal hood in three different depths (wide, standard, and tele) for a reasonable price.

Or if you insist on the real thing:
Pentax | 49mm Rectangular Lens Hood | 34021 | B&H Photo Video

Pentax | 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood | 34260 | B&H Photo Video
Steve
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plenty of variety of these on eBay (be weary of quality).
That's where I went (no specific seller).

09-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #23
Dom

When to use a lens hood? All the time.
09-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Closed Account

For the FA 50mm, based on comments here I got the hood that was meant to be used on the Takumar 135mm 3.5. I will use it more often from now on I guess as I was leaving it off in some instances given my wrong preconceptions.

I have one question though. I just got here in the marketplace a FA 28mm 2.8, and while it's 49mm as well this hood will probably cause vigneting, right? Do all those others 49mm hoods mentioned above by Steve work well for it?
09-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried a couple of different collapsible rubber hoods with my M28/2.8, and neither is very effective. I've also tried a couple of solid metal hoods, and both caused vignetting. The only hood I've found that actully works well with my M28/2.8 is, strangely enough, the hood that comes with the DA70. It vignettes when extended, but in the collapsed position, it does not, and is much more effective thn the rubber hoods. But the FA28/2.8 is a different lens.
09-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #26

This is very helpful information. I have a FA 50 f/1.4 and have been wondering what lens hood to get for it. Now, for another one. I have a sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 lens that came with its own lens hood. But . . .

The lens hood bayonet is on a fixed part of the lens barrel. It doesn't move in and out with the front element. This lens is shortest at 50mm where it looks like the hood might do some good. At 28 mm & 80mm the front element is pretty close to the front of the hood. It's definitely not helping. So, how do I decide what size hood to get? I know I need a 55mm thread, but I don't know how to pick the length.

Maybe if I get decent hoods for all the lenses I'll have the nerve to throw away those UV filters.

Last edited by bniece; 09-11-2009 at 10:37 PM.
09-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I've tried a couple of different collapsible rubber hoods with my M28/2.8, and neither is very effective.
Try a hood made for a standard lens (50mm). Works great on my Image A 28mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by bniece Quote
I have a sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 lens that came with its own lens cap.

At 28 mm & 80mm the front element is pretty close to the front of the hood. It's definitely not helping. So, how do I decide what size hood to get? I know I need a 55mm thread, but I don't know how to pick the length.
I believe the 3-stage collapsible rubber hood readily found on eBay would work.