11-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Apparently Ponds Cold Cream will do it.
LOL!
This is the best advice yet!

04-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #17

Fungus Half Cleaned

I have a similar problem with a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens. It had fungus on the rear of the back lens of the front lens group and on the inside of the rear lens of the rear lens group.

I have followed instructions and removed and cleaned the front lens group. It is now clean as a whistle. I actually removed the lenses one by one before discovering that I just needed to remove the whole group and clean the back.

It is not that difficult to do - have a clear space to work on take your time and do it in one sitting. I used a crutch tip to get the front cover off. Was surprised it worked.

I am now trying to clean the rear of the lens but I am struggling to get the rear lens off. I don't know if it is impossible to do or it is just stiff. Does anyone know if it is possible to unscrew the rear lens WITHOUT removing the mount? Not the whole lens group, I know you can't do that but just the rear lens.
04-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ponds Cold Cream might take the wrinkles out, and I wouldn't use my crutch to get the cover off, but if I used both, I wouldn't have wrinkles on my crutch.
04-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fatjim Quote
I have a similar problem with a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens. It had fungus on the rear of the back lens of the front lens group and on the inside of the rear lens of the rear lens group.

I have followed instructions and removed and cleaned the front lens group. It is now clean as a whistle. I actually removed the lenses one by one before discovering that I just needed to remove the whole group and clean the back.

It is not that difficult to do - have a clear space to work on take your time and do it in one sitting. I used a crutch tip to get the front cover off. Was surprised it worked.

I am now trying to clean the rear of the lens but I am struggling to get the rear lens off. I don't know if it is impossible to do or it is just stiff. Does anyone know if it is possible to unscrew the rear lens WITHOUT removing the mount? Not the whole lens group, I know you can't do that but just the rear lens.
If you're going to spend time taking lenses apart, these would be a good investment.

Lens Ring Tool Set - Part #: LRSET

I have yet to dismantle a 50 f1.4 but I'm reasonably certain they could handle the task.

04-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fatjim Quote
...I am now trying to clean the rear of the lens but I am struggling to get the rear lens off. I don't know if it is impossible to do or it is just stiff. Does anyone know if it is possible to unscrew the rear lens WITHOUT removing the mount? Not the whole lens group, I know you can't do that but just the rear lens.
On the Takumar 50/1.4s, you can sometimes focus to infinity, get enough of a grip on the metal ring holding the rear element, and unscrew it. I just looked at my A50/1.4 and the rear element doesn't stick out enough for that. It also doesn't have any spanner slots. On that lens, I see no good way to avoid removing the mount. If I were really desperate I might try removing the light shield and using needlenose pliers. That probably would scratch and gouge the ring without getting it to move.
05-16-2010, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

i ended up buying a f1.4 as well and it had fungus (long story short, ended up getting the lens for free) and I opened it using Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Cleaning from fungus: Nikkor 50 f/1.4 ... and Pentax 50mm repair 3 as the nikkor lens is SIMILAR to this lens...and ironically, the ponds cold cream is AWESOME and got all the fungus off.....thing that sucks is that I forgot to get something else, went out, came back and totally forgot how the lens goes back together...are there any other guides that any one else knows?
05-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link_1111 Quote
i ended up buying a f1.4 as well and it had fungus (long story short, ended up getting the lens for free) and I opened it using Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Cleaning from fungus: Nikkor 50 f/1.4 ... and Pentax 50mm repair 3 as the nikkor lens is SIMILAR to this lens...and ironically, the ponds cold cream is AWESOME and got all the fungus off.....thing that sucks is that I forgot to get something else, went out, came back and totally forgot how the lens goes back together...are there any other guides that any one else knows?
If you post a photo of your parts, I can help you figure out what goes where. Or are you trying to figure out the order/direction of individual lens elements? If so, find your lens here, and on its page there's a link to an optical diagram.

Pentax Normal Prime Lenses
05-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #23
Site Supporter

thanks for the offer for help! I have seemed to work out how to make evrything fit (possibly need to open it up again to put some oil on the threads)...quick question, when you remove the "SMC Pentax-M" etc etc ring, is there meant to be a piece of glass the sits right on there as well? I think I just might have managed to misplace that if there should be one there ='(