Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Firstly you need to have proper tool in hand. A tweezer which comes w/ Pentax focus screen is a great choice. But if you don't have it, any other tweezer will get the job done. If you already bought a third party screen (like Katzeye, focusingscreen, or even those cheap China made ones), you probably already have the tools.

Some people also use clean running water to clean focusing screen with great success, but to me, Eclipse+PEC Pads work better since I already have them.

Anyway, don't be afraid, just give it a try. The worst case is to buy another new replacement screen which wouldn't cost much anyway.
I've done that on a few occasions with good sucess.

09-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Actually cleaning a focusing screen isn't as hard as it's said. I've cleaned so many screens, from film to digital SLRs, even including those w/o interchangable screen ones. It's not a big deal if you know how.
I agree it isn't rocket science; it is certainly possible to do the job with care. But lots of people have ruined their focus screens - a fingerprint, for instance, can renders the thing close to useless. And some cameras make removing and replacing the focus screen easier than others.

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't the possibility of ruining the screen that stops me; it's the knowledge that it tends to be frustrating exercise of removing screen, trying to get dust off and out of the housing, replacing screen, checking and finding you've only moved it around, repeating, finding you've actually made it worse, repeating again, finding you've at least made it back where you started, repeating again, convincing yourself you've made a slight improvement and it's better to leave well enough alone at that point. And as I said, even if you manage to make a great improvement, it's just temporary - dust will return soon enough. After 3 or 4 iterations of that whole cleaning cycle, I finally just decided to accept it.

If I were the only one reporting an experience like that, I'd assume I was simly unusually incompetent, and keep my mouth shut about it :-). As it is, though, I find that my experience pretty well matches the norm. So I just likle to let first-timers know what they're likely in for. Sure, with dedication and patience, you can indeed get results - you just need to be prepared to keep at it, and decide how much effort is worth it to you.

Similarly, I don't fight the dandelions in my yard...
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Guys for all your help! I now have a clean viewfinder!