Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Dust in Pentax K20D Viewfinder

I have a spot in the viewfinder that appears to be unrelated to lense, or external dust. I did a CMOS capture and the dust does not appear on the image - only through the viewfinder.

I am suspecting the dust is on the inside of the viewfinder section. It looks like the lense above the mirror has a clip in order to access the viewfinder section.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could provide on how to access this area to blow out the dust.

Thanks

09-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #2

I had something similar yesterday (looked like a penguin!) and I freaked out but against all odds I removed the lens and use my Rocket air thingy and it went away so you may want to give it a shot. I too thought it was in the viewfinder.

Regards
09-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi shaolin95, I tried that but no luck so thinking I need to get behind the top lense.
09-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Prorbably is. There's a little latch that drops the focus screen down. But be warned: the focus screen is very easily damaged. And getting the dust out of the viewifnder is ahrder than you might imagine - chances are excellent that in the time yu have it open, more dust will come in, and you'll just make it worse. And even if you manage to get this particular piece of dust out without damaging the screen, chances are good in another week or two you'll have more. The standard advice is to learn to ignore it; viewfinder dust is a fact of life with all DSLR's.

09-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thaks Marc,

Its such a big piece that it really bums me out everytime I look through the view finder. I have ordered a foot pump and some sealed sensor swabs.

I would appreciate any additional advice you could provide in cleaning it
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning the view finder on a K20D?
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My first choice would be learn to ignore it. It does no harm and anything you do to try to remove it could do harm.

Barring that (I can't take my own advice), I finally got a piece of dust to move by using my Rocketblower without the mirror locked up. In other words, I removed the lens and blew the Rocketblower into the camera along the mirror and the dust went away. It took me a few times, though.
09-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read some good advice that worked for me. Instead of removing the focusing screen, just pop the retainers and let it fold down 30 degrees but do not touch it. Gently use your blower to puff away dust that was on top of it. Snap it back up and tack a look. Don't like it yet? Repeat.

Less risk than removing it and all you are really trying to do is get the top anyway. Worked much better for me than removing it like I used to. Your mileage may vary.

edit - i didn't see where you have done this before. if it is not familiar to you, there are numerous youtube vids showing the process.

09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
response to imtheguy

imtheguy, I took a look on youtube but could not find the video you are talking about. If you could attach a link I sure would appreciate it!
09-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the same prolem with both my cameras. It's driving me crazy, I can't ignore it. I wouldthink even thought it's more 'dangerous', you'd be better off removingthe screen or using a dusttrapping swab. Even if the blower method works, you get it of your focus screen but it's still insie your camera. Ideally you completely remove the dust from the housing. If you have the Pentax tools for removingthe screen, it seems quite easy.
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually cleaning a focusing screen isn't as hard as it's said. I've cleaned so many screens, from film to digital SLRs, even including those w/o interchangable screen ones. It's not a big deal if you know how. I even dropped screens on the floor a couple of times, no big deal.

Firstly you need to have proper tool in hand. A tweezer which comes w/ Pentax focus screen is a great choice. But if you don't have it, any other tweezer will get the job done. If you already bought a third party screen (like Katzeye, focusingscreen, or even those cheap China made ones), you probably already have the tools.

Secondly you need to know how to take the screen out. Our dSLR's screens are much eaiser to take out than some film SLR cameras. Here you can find a very detailed instruction on how to install focusing screen on our Pentax SLR cameras (thanks to focusingscreen):
--Pentax K7/K10D/K20D/ISTD Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--

After you take out the screen, you can try to clean it w/ a strong blower, on both side. If there are still some sticky stains remain on the screen, you can just blow the screen with you mouth (be careful, don't spill on it ) to wet it abit, then wipe the stains w/ a lens tissue (CLEAN lens paper, not those cloth ones). If still can't get the stain off, I'd use Eclipse Lens Cleaning Fuild/Solution plus PEC Pad lens tissues to do the final trick, works all the time. Some people also use clean running water to clean focusing screen with great success, but to me, Eclipse+PEC Pads work better since I already have them.

Anyway, don't be afraid, just give it a try. The worst case is to buy another new replacement screen which wouldn't cost much anyway.
09-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't remember the exact video but this one will work fine. Just follow it exactly to the point where he drops the existing screen down then stop the video and start your puffing and cleaning w/o removing it unless this simple approach does not work.

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.

Have fun!
09-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I don't remember the exact video but this one will work fine. Just follow it exactly to the point where he drops the existing screen down then stop the video and start your puffing and cleaning w/o removing it unless this simple approach does not work.

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.

Have fun!

Thank god I came across this.
Although I wasn't completely annoyed by the specks of dust on the screen, it was partially annoying :P

Thanks for sharing.
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought SLR's NEED dust on the focusing screen to work?

Dosen't removing the dust void the warenty?

I joke. Every camera I have has a bunch of dust in the viewfinder.
09-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dropping Quote
Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning the view finder on a K20D?
OK I have done this many times, first on my GX10 then I got a K20D and it had no dust problems for months now all of a sudden it gets dust spots? Especial when I change lens outdoors. I have learned how to safely drop the focus screen and clean it with it in the frame and also clean the prism bottom above the focus screen, and of course I clean the bottom of the screen; however I use Visible Dusts Arctic Butterfly with the special mirror/focus screen brush and it just plain works and does not scratch the screen those fibers are seriously soft and dust just flys to them. Blowing many times does not work. And it makes things worse because you are blowing in more dust. None of the normal blowers have filters the GIOTTO'S bulb blower does not have a filter it has a one way valve in the back to help stop dust from being sucked back up into the nozzle. Show me any blower for less than $100 that has a filter? They really do only put more dust in becuase when you breath you are breathing in millions of particals of dust true.

Some folks don't believe but I guess it depends on were you live, my dust can stick like a magnet to the focus screen and sensor and no amount of blowing gets it off its true. Whats true for one person in this huge planet of ours is not true for another; like how much dust we have around us and what its made of, and how hard it sticks. I can't keep my K20D clean with just a blower or I would

Its expensive but the Arctic Butterfly system just plain works, I always try to help and give honest answers, it may sound like I am selling it, but... it just still amazes me. My OVF is spotless, my sensor is spotless, and I at one time after an outing and lots of lens changing had a ton of dust on the focus screen not now.