Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

lens is stuck, HELP?

I have a k200d and I put one of my old A manual focus lenses on it (sigma 70-210 zoom II), now it won't come off....I press the release button and it only turns half of what its supposed to, sometimes it gets stuck and I can't get it to go back to the regular attached position, it kinda just hangs there. Anyone have any ideas what its hanging up on?

edit, okay now it won't go back to the regular attached position at all

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 09-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
09-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Name:  SNC00165.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  152.3 KB

that's where its stuck at
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One possibility (and my guess) is that the lens was designed for Ricon, and has the "Ricoh pin" which is the common cause of a stuck lens. Here's one old discussion of the problem on DPR. Many have recommended feeler gauges to retract the pin out of the way, but the technique which has worked for me (the one time by accident, and others for experimental purposes - not stuck on a camera, but on a cheap TC) was to keep applying a torque in the direction to remove the lens while rocking / wiggling the lens... the constant torque will hold the pin against the side of the hole it's stuck in while the rocking works to compress the pin against it's spring and eventually it's forced back into the lens mount and the lens will turn again. I've also found brute force to work, but that was when not using a camera (just the teleconverter to simulate the camera) and I'd be leery applying a hard twist to a nice camera. Googling for "stuck ricoh pin" ought to find a lot of references.

If in doubt a camera shop ought to be able to help you out... I know the feeling you're going through - don't worry, your camera will be free again soon.
09-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Many have recommended feeler gauges to retract the pin out of the way, but the technique which has worked for me (the one time by accident, and others for experimental purposes - not stuck on a camera, but on a cheap TC) was to keep applying a torque in the direction to remove the lens while rocking / wiggling the lens... the constant torque will hold the pin against the side of the hole it's stuck in while the rocking works to compress the pin against it's spring and eventually it's forced back into the lens mount and the lens will turn again. I've also found brute force to work, but that was when not using a camera (just the teleconverter to simulate the camera) and I'd be leery applying a hard twist to a nice camera. Googling for "stuck ricoh pin" ought to find a lot of references.
And try taking the aperture off the 'A' position, it may help.

09-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also know the feeling you are going through as I had a stuck lens and thread to prove it last Spring. My problem was with a cheap reflex (mirror) type lens so the mount was metal but minimal. Because of the size of the lens and hood I hold it upside down and must have turned it the wrong way. the lens mount allowed me to twist it on with only slightly more force but never clicked into position. When i tried to remove it I could not get to the normal mount position. After many hours struggling I finally decided the lens mount was much weaker than the camera and lined up the mount slots so the best fit than just pushed the lens over to one side and it came out w/o noticable damage to anything. Its called an adaptor in the thread but its the same K mount as any lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/65110-t-mount-...next-week.html

Probably not much help but figured passing this on was not going to hurt. Good luck. I really know how you are feeling.
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
One possibility (and my guess) is that the lens was designed for Ricon, and has the "Ricoh pin" which is the common cause of a stuck lens. Here's one old discussion of the problem on DPR. Many have recommended feeler gauges to retract the pin out of the way, but the technique which has worked for me (the one time by accident, and others for experimental purposes - not stuck on a camera, but on a cheap TC) was to keep applying a torque in the direction to remove the lens while rocking / wiggling the lens... the constant torque will hold the pin against the side of the hole it's stuck in while the rocking works to compress the pin against it's spring and eventually it's forced back into the lens mount and the lens will turn again. I've also found brute force to work, but that was when not using a camera (just the teleconverter to simulate the camera) and I'd be leery applying a hard twist to a nice camera. Googling for "stuck ricoh pin" ought to find a lot of references.

If in doubt a camera shop ought to be able to help you out... I know the feeling you're going through - don't worry, your camera will be free again soon.
Thank You! this is exactly what it was. I just fidgeted with it for a while until it came loose, then I looked up the stuck ricoh pin on google and found pictures and compared it to my sigma 70-210...even though the lens DOES NOT say KR and DOES NOT have a P or PR option on the aperture ring, it still has the ricoh pin:
Name:  SNC00166.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  131.8 KB
sorry for the low quality of the picture, it was taken with my cell phone, the pin that gets stuck is the one on the left, furthest away from the 3 electronic connections (its actually on the exact opposite side of the orange marker)...It's weird because I've had this lens on my k200d before with no problems.

this is the thread I got all the info from...it also has some useful links
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/62194-ricoh-pin...ed-remove.html

this is a good link:
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2008/05/ricoh-lenses-on-pentax-cameras-ricoh.html

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 09-08-2009 at 10:19 PM.
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe we should have a sticky in the lens section about this to help warn people a head of time.