Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K7 orientation problem?

I just bought my K7, now that the green line issue was resolved, and I love it! Haven't been able to honey-moon with it due to work pressure

I noticed something abnormal. I'm talking about the info screen(on first click of the INFO button) showing shooting params that appears on the LCD (when not in live view mode). It does change orientation as I turn the K7 around. But, after a few seconds, the exact same time that the display in the viewfinder turns off, the LCD info orientation freezes to where it was. After this, it no longer rotates with orientation changes. Again, if I were to disturb the LCD info screen either by half press followed by a release, or hitting either the ISO, +/-, or something else, the info screen jumps back to the proper orientation and behaves fine. It then again freezes like I said above after some time.

I'm wondering if this is a FW bug of some kind or if there is a setting to keep it from "orientation-freeze". Pardon me if it's in the manual and I didn't read it. I'm a guy
(women.. no offence!)

Has anybody experienced this?

09-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I don't have a K-7 but I'm thinking it may be a power saving feature.
09-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Look under Setting the Guide Display in the manual. It will tell you how to set the length of time the guides are displayed. The default is 3 seconds.

windflower
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup. Thanks Gary and Windflower. Sounds logical. I'm gonna get this whole weekend with it. Let me see what I can find out

09-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Will you french kiss it before the honeymoon?
09-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
yeah like the French know ANYTHING about that...well, maybe if it is to kiss Jerry Lewis I suppose they might know how to make that work...har!!

09-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
That, I won't do, coz I don't want to touch the sensor inside with my tongue!!!

But, wooooow, I had a whole weekend with it! I had 3 lenses:
1. 18-55 WR
2. 55-200 WR
I seriously kept thinking that I was missing something, until I ordered the 18-250!

I'm gonna return the WR ones coz I hate changing them often. I do find the 18-250 dark. So I'm going to get faster ones later (maybe the DA* 60-250).

Oh.. sorry for getting carried away with my new bride! Now back to the topic. I actually looked everywhere, but could not find anything that is going to change the display duration of the viewfinder info and correspondingly the display duration to keep the LCD display from losing orientation sensing. Like you said, windflower, I checked out the Guide Display time. But, it only changes the duration of time the info about the mode is displayed when you change the mode dial. Not what I want.

So, this still remains to be a mystry to me Ofcourse, one can live with it because the moment you hit buttons, it swings back into the right orientation. But I'm just intreagued as to why Pentax made the firmware that way. If they did decide to keep the LCD display on for longer than the viewfinder display, then why turn off the orientation sensing then the viewfinder goes off? Me being a Software Analyst, it really makes me wonder. The obvious answer to this is that they probably overlooked it in the intro firmware. Or maybe I don't know where it is in the huge set of menus!

Anybody????

Last edited by icypepsi; 09-16-2009 at 11:31 AM.
09-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, digging once again into the working of K7, I figured that changing the metering time to something longer (30sec intead of 10sec) keeps the viewfinder info on for longer and thus also the LCD display info sensitive to the camera orientation for that much more longer. But, can anybody tell me what it means to keep the metering time short or long? Does it mean that the camera will take the average of a shorter or longer time to come to a conclusion of what metering value to use?

09-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Keeping the metering time short saves battery power. With 30 sec. metering time, you use 3 times as much power as 10 sec, so your "range" is going to be shorter.