Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Big price differences on 18-55mm lens

Hi,
I bought a K20D body and wish to buy a Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL II Lens but the prices I see give me concern. From various places they are available from £50 to way over £100. I would be very grateful for some advice on how to select one, what's the realistic price ?. Tks

09-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why didn't you buy the kit lens with your camera? It would have been cheaper.

There are three versions of that lens. Version 1 is pretty good. Version II (labeled as such) is even better. Version 3 is weatherproof and has the same optics as version II. That might explain the differences.

But if you're going to purchase a lens like this, but not as a kit, there are better lenses that could be purchased for just a little more money, such as the Pentax 16-45 (if you can find it), the 17-70, or the Sigma 17-70.
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
I got a good price on used one and I had some older lenses I wanted to try out first. Thanks for that I will look at the others you recommend.
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Check with Chris at SRS Microsystem. They are a Pentax Pro center, so you get a two year warranty, and first class service. If you register with "Pentax User" forum and let them know you're a member, you will have free delivery on top of that.

09-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Tks Yves, that's good info it was one of the ones on my list.
09-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Why didn't you buy the kit lens with your camera? It would have been cheaper.

There are three versions of that lens. Version 1 is pretty good. Version II (labeled as such) is even better. Version 3 is weatherproof and has the same optics as version II. That might explain the differences.

But if you're going to purchase a lens like this, but not as a kit, there are better lenses that could be purchased for just a little more money, such as the Pentax 16-45 (if you can find it), the 17-70, or the Sigma 17-70.
To muddy the waters even further, there's also the DA-L lens varient as well. It has the same optical formula as the II and WR versions but has a plastic lens mount to save weight. It also does not include the Quick Shift focus system found on other DA lenses.

These can typically be found very cheap, and the trade-offs are minimal in the grand scheme of things.